Has this ever happened to you?

My husband composts, and so we throw the yucky parts of veggies that we cut off or whatever or old things we can eat there...well we threw some old broccoli on there and omg the broccoli started growing out of the compost! LOOOOOOOOL!

prettyrayray

Asked by prettyrayray at 9:19 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Wow, is it edible?
    Anonymous

• He threw it away, he said it was stealing the nutrients from the compost!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 9:21 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I used to do that when I had a garden, throw old veggies, etc. out there. It was kinda fun, knowing that I didn't have to throw it away.
    Anonymous

• Theft by broccoli. LOL
    Anonymous

• My kids love to throw banana peels on it :) Or the tough part of the asparagus that I snap off.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 9:28 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Composting is really fun actually, he does it to fertilize his hops plants. He lets me use it for my vegetable garden as well. It's super fun to turn it with a shovel and see grubs n stuff in there :) What's cool is that since it's plant matter that it doesn't stink.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 9:29 PM on May. 12, 2009

• A family up the street has a compost tumbler thing. They throw their stuff in it and turn it a few turns once a day. This lady's garden is incredible every year. It must be pretty awesome.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:46 PM on May. 12, 2009

• That is so funny! How suprising that it sprouted. We compost, also, and I will be sure to watch out for that . Thanks for sharing LOL.
    grahamom

Answer by grahamom at 10:13 PM on May. 12, 2009

• That just shows you how good compost for your plants. I also compost using worm boxes. I have two avacado plants in my den that sprouted in the worm box. Brocli and celery have also sprouted in the worm box. Along with lots of other veggies. I dont want to rain on your parade but if you turn your compost once a week and keep it damp you wont hve the problem of having things sprout. It will be to hot for stuff to survive. And that is what helps break down the material to make compost. Well it will break down faster. I know that wasent the answer you were looking for. But when it come to compost I can't help my self. But your story is cool. Tell your hubbie to plant zucchini in the compost pile. That way you will know it is staying moist.
    chedhead

Answer by chedhead at 7:11 PM on May. 13, 2009

• hehe you know a few days ago i was pulling in the garbage can and i noticed something weird behind our air conditioner...a random potato had fallen back their and somehow it had sprouts all over it
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 7:36 PM on May. 14, 2009