MY SON REFUSES TO EAT ANYTHING EXCEPT MAC AND CHEESE, TOP RAMAN AND CHICKEN NUGGETS. HOW CAN I GET HIM TO EAT OTHER FOODS? HE'S 9 AND VERY SKINNY.

cleo2582

Asked by cleo2582 at 9:24 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I wouldn't let him have those things... he'll get hungry and eat what you make him. Just don't give in for anything... he won't let himself starve.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:26 PM on May. 12, 2009

• You can add carnation instant breakfast to his milk to help him get the nutrients he needs.
    Anonymous

• I agree with AmiJanell. Don't offer him anything else. He'll eat when he's hungry.
    3galsmomma

Answer by 3galsmomma at 9:30 PM on May. 12, 2009

• i have a 12 and 15 yr old, and all they eat is mac n cheese, roman noodles, and pizza. i cook for them, but they wait till i go to sleep and fix what they want for them. i thought they would grow out of it, and i have tried not buying that stuff, but then they just wont eat at all. they went 3 days without eating till i broke down and got them there food so they would eat.
    Anonymous

• My brother ate only spaghettios for a year. he will be ok i promice just make sure he is getting a vitamin supplement. just keep offering him different things
    Amanda7891

Answer by Amanda7891 at 9:38 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Make him up a plate of healthy (or at least BETTER food) and tell him he can't have chicken nuggets or those other things until he finishes what you made for him, and THEN when he finishes he can have whatever. Hopefully by the time he finishes, he'll be too full to eat anything else. Also you could try to not even buy those things so that he will HAVE to eat something else. :-)
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 9:47 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Make really good healthy food...once they see that your food tastes good, it won't be a struggle anymore. Just don't buy the junk food anymore. They really won't starve...although Anon's kids gave her a run for her money, lol.
    Anonymous

• I do NOT recommend not feeding or offering him anything. All he needs to do is tell a teacher that his mother is not feeding him because he doesn't eat what she usually makes, CPS will be at your door for child neglect. NOT offering or making a child food, is neglect. You can make him what he likes, but tell him that he has to try 2 bites of everything else before he can eat what he likes. I do NOT believe in not feeding kids, picky or otherwise. That is just mean and will not solve anything. Parents need to think before they act, do you eat foods you don't like? I will never not feed my child. I will never force him to eat something he doesn't like or eat when he isn't hungry. All good ways to help the child develop an eating disorder.

You can give him Kid Essentials or Pediasure a couple times a day. I had to do that with my son.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:26 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I would try adding in newer foods with the foods that he will eat. This has usually worked with my son. Sometimes it didn't but I would always use the method that if he ate a good portion of the newer food that I served him that he would get a dessert ( that's only if he ate a good portion of his dinner.) I wouldn't necessarily go to the extent of making him eat everything on his plate to get a desert because typically they will let you know when they are finished eating. If he is asking for some more of the food that he will eat then you know that he should be hungry to try something new. You could also try serving a newer item with the foods that they will eat and let him know that he can't have any more of the foods that he will eat unless he trys something new on his plate. Rewarding him and giving him options works best. If he won't eat whats new on his plate then he won't get a desert.
    Halfmoonwife

Answer by Halfmoonwife at 10:28 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I don't agree with tyfry at all. Not making his choice foods and offering other foods is not the same as not feeding your child. CPS wouldn't care one bit if a child wouldn't eat because he had a healthy meal put on his plate.
    And not eating foods you don't like is one thing... but limiting your diet to a very small set of foods is another. If he ate everything on his plate but his peas vs not eating anything on your plate because it's not a nugget.
    And at 9 years he is old enough to "get it" where a child that is 3 or something might need some encoragment with eating a bite or two of something... but 9 years is too old to play that game.
    Not giving into his food choices and providing one meal rather than 2 every meal will not create an eating disorder... it will make a child that starts to try and like new foods, be a better healthier eater and make better food choices as an adult.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:56 PM on May. 12, 2009