is it normal?

my son got his 1st dirt bike today for his 15 b-day present. he went around the trail with his helment, then he took it off. i was sooooo scared. he ride responsable, but it just scares me that he doesn't wear his helment. what should i do?

okc-mom-2

Asked by okc-mom-2 at 9:30 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• it's normal kids don't like helmets but it's best they do and in most places it is the law. Tell him he has to pay any fines he gets. Of course if he's in an accident and his head splits open and brain damage is done he'll wish he wore it

Answer by admckenzie at 9:34 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Make it a rule that he has to wear his helmet when he rides the dirt bike and enforce it with a harsh consequence like taking the bike away for a month. Also if you can find stories about kids who have died or gotten seriously hurt riding without a helmet show them to him, at this age they think it wont happen to them but so did the kids who do get hurt.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 9:36 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Mom, YOU are the parent, rules are if he doesnt wear the helmet, HE CANT RIDE... Number one reason for head injuries to children is because they did not wear a helmet while on a bike, dirt bike, and atv.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:37 PM on May. 12, 2009

• NO helmet, NO dirtbike, NO negotiaions. It doesn't matter if he is a responsible rider or not, all it takes is one fall and he could be dead. If he rides the dirtbike without his helmet, you sell the dirtbike. NO other options.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:28 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Park the bike until he follows the rules of wearing his helmet. My oldest son got in a wreck on his dirt bike when he was 13 years old and had to have abdominal surgery- he landed on a tree stump and it sliced his belly open 6 inches. He also hit his head and had a slight concussion. The surgeon said (by looking at his helmet) things could of been a lot worse if he had not had his helmet on. I agree with tyfry, no matter how responsible the kids are, accidents happen. My son was also responsible but his front breaks locked up which sent him flying over the handle bars.....something he couldn't control.

BrendaMomOf3

Answer by BrendaMomOf3 at 1:50 AM on May. 13, 2009

• He's 15, so you should have some say in what he does. I'd tell him he can't ride the bike unless he wears his helmet.

My son, who is now 41, had a street bike years ago. He was over 21 at the time, so I couldn't exactly take the bike away. However, I did remind him OFTEN the he needed to wear his helmet. Thank goodness I nagged him about it. Every moan and groan and complaint he said to me, was well worth it! He was in a pretty bad accident. If he had not had his helmet on, he would have either been killed or been brain dead. His head hit the concrete. His helmet was all messed up, but it saved his head.
    Ginny19

Answer by Ginny19 at 1:59 AM on May. 13, 2009

• No helmet, no riding, period. Have your son research brain damage due to not wearing a helmet. Tell him that you had to feed him and change his diapers when he was a baby and you have no intention of doing it for him again.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:26 AM on May. 13, 2009

• I have few rules for my kids, but riding and skiing with a helmet (my son is 15) is one of them. He hates it and I suspect he is tempated to take it off, but as we and others see him around town, he knows if we ever see or hear of him riding without the helmet the bike is gone for a long while.
    PhillyinFrance

Answer by PhillyinFrance at 7:44 AM on May. 13, 2009

• We have a name for people who don't wear helmets. We learned it from a family ymember who is a medical doctor. He learned it during his training rotations in ER's. When we see a cyclist without a helmet somebody in our car is sure to say it...

They are called organ donors.

Harsh reality, but reality. Wear the helmet.
    cutiemoose

Answer by cutiemoose at 8:34 AM on May. 13, 2009

• Do you know how many kids I see that ride their bikes to school and take their helmets off as soon as they turn the corner on their street? I see it every day. They do it to please their parents ...and off it goes. I'm gonna say it's pretty normal. And sadly it will probably take a spill to learn the lesson!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on May. 13, 2009