Lactose Intolerance

my daughter is lastose intolerance and someone told me about "Digestive Advantage Children's Lactose Intolerance" she is only 18 months and i would like to know if its safe for a child that young and if it really works? and of course i will be asking her dr about it but i wanted opinions of other moms that has a child with the same issue

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:45 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Kids' Health

• My child isn't Lactose Intolerance but I am. I am able to drink skim milk and chocolate milk. I usually buy Lactose Free milk, it doesn't taste any different than regular milk. There are lots of lactose free products out there. I do not know anything about the Digestive Advantage, I would talk to her doc before I did anything like that.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:37 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Why not just skip the dairy altogether, and not risk discomfort for you child. There are wonderful plant-based sources for calcium (like beans and leafy vegetables) and good fats (avocado, ground flax seeds, egg yolk, olive oil, flax oil, hemp oil, etc.).
    More information here: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html
    and here: www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 6:35 AM on May. 13, 2009

• I agree with rkoloms. If the kid can't eat dairy then don't give them dairy. I never understood the logic behind taking medication so you can eat a food that isn't even good for you anyway.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 3:38 PM on May. 13, 2009

• I have heard that the medications don't work. I don't remember the science behind it.

There are lots of other alternative sources of calcium. Also, certain sources like yogurt can be tolerated by many lactose intolerant people.
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 5:52 PM on May. 13, 2009

• no not really she cant have yogurt cheese nothing like that if it has milk in it she cant have it and if its ok with her dr going to ask she has a appt next week if it was ok just so she can have yogurt or cheese or ice cream once in a while and she does drink lactaid
    Anonymous