Any older moms out there who are recently unemployed and a bit LOST?

I've worked since I was 15 years old and I'm now 52 and can't find a job. I quit my job with a local county when we moved 75 miles away. I'm thinking about going back to restaurant work, which I did for 12 years before I went into clerical and administrative work - but I am not certain that at my age and being 50 pounds overweight I can deal with the fast-pace of a restaurant job. I used to love waitressing - but that was 25-30 years ago and it was a different world and I was also different. Anyway - I'm now a displaced homemaker - staying home while my husband works. The bills are getting paid but there are times we are completely broke. I've only been married for 4 years and 3 months so I'm not on completely solid ground with this relationship. I'm bored and depressed. I do see a therapist and that helps some. However, being fairly new to this area, I only have one friend here and no family even in the State.

Honeybear52

Asked by Honeybear52 at 10:10 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Money & Work

• I know times are tough out there. We have some small businesses at local malls. We were out looking for a manager for our businesses. It took us forever to find someone good. The people we hired who were older like yourself, turned out to be the best people! Put your resume in at the malls, don't overlook the kiosks! Also, Walmart pays really well and has excellent benefits.

It is tough, it's almost like you retired early!! Good luck to you.
    Anonymous

• Hi, I am 52 and stay home with my family. Have you thought of doing a home-based business to make extra money and also to meet new people. This is what I do and I have made some new friends in the process. Message me if you want to take a look at this company.
    jmcan

Answer by jmcan at 11:31 PM on May. 12, 2009

• First, this is not an offer for a MLM or a paid service!
    If you have a home computer with high speed internet access and Microsoft Office Pro, you can work as a virtual assistant (also known as a VA). There are many people who do this independly, or through agencies. I know one real company, run by a real person (a very nice man named Tracey Wallace), call VSI (virtual staff Inc.). The website is www.avirtualstaff.com
    Do you have a former employer you can do work for remotely? Do you have a skill or experience you can turn into a small business? I have a friend who makes childrens hair accessories in her basement, and sells them to boutiques around the midwest. I work out of my home, doing freelance bookkeeping and business organization; I also do career and job search coaching. I am always happy to help CafeMoms with resumes, coverletters, intervew prep and job search strategy.
    -Robin

Answer by rkoloms at 4:39 AM on May. 13, 2009

• http://www.cashle.com/index.php?ref=cindyk1982

http://cashcrate.com/322297

These are 2 good websites to make money on. They are free and you are able to work when you want to.

SweetKYmom

Answer by SweetKYmom at 7:22 AM on May. 13, 2009

• I'm so sorry you feel so displaced. Why don't you try working in a medical office. You won't be on your feet as much as waitressing. I hope you won't find this insulting, but since you have worked always, technicallyyou are not a displaced homemaker. Technically a displaced homemaker is someone who expected to be at home while hubby worked but was unexpectedly thrown into the workforce through hubby's unemployment, death or divorce. Yes it is a real term and the government gives money to places that train "displaced homemakers" for job skills. Fortunately you have job skills and a work history. Unfortunately the economy sucks right now!

Anonymous