Lactose Intolerance

my daughter is lastose intolerance and someone told me about "Digestive Advantage Children's Lactose Intolerance" she is only 18 months and i would like to know if its safe for a child that young and if it really works? and of course i will be asking her dr about it but i wanted opinions of other moms that has a child with the same issue

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:10 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Are you sure that she is actually lactose intolerant, or are you just assuming that because she had a reaction when you tried to put her on milk?

I only ask because the vast majority of children under the age of 5 that are "lactose intolerant" are actually not.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 10:15 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Why not just skip the dairy altogether, and not risk discomfort for you child. There are wonderful plant-based sources for calcium (like beans and leafy vegetables) and good fats (avocado, ground flax seeds, egg yolk, olive oil, flax oil, hemp oil, etc.).
    More information here: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html
    and here: www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 5:34 AM on May. 13, 2009

• My son cannot have dairy or gluten. He needs the fats from milk, so he drinks the regular full fat Lactaid. It has lactase in it, that is the enzyme that helps your body digest milk. He eats soy yogurt and rice cheese. We also use Lactaid in any food that calls for dairy or whatever we want milk for in our house.

As far as the supplement goes, I would refrain from giving anything other than a vitamin, especially since you have other options.
    Psylocke

Answer by Psylocke at 9:23 PM on May. 13, 2009

• thats the bad thing about the area i live in they dont have any soy cheese yogurt or anything like that only thing i can buy is the lactaid milk
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:31 AM on May. 14, 2009

• OP, if you want to pm me, I could help you out a bit more. :)
    Psylocke

Answer by Psylocke at 12:12 PM on May. 15, 2009