Please , how can I get my 4 month old to take a bottle....

Ive breastfed exclusivly and plan to continue, but I need a break. My daughter REFUSES to take a bottle. I have to go back to work. Its only breastmilk I know its not a taste thing. Please any suggestions will help.

luvMIIsk8rBoi

Asked by luvMIIsk8rBoi at 10:36 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try different nipples. Also when she is getting a bottle don't be anywhere near her, have somebody else give it to her...I've read that babies can smell your milk and won't take the bottle if they know you are there. Good luck! My dd only took a bottle once, lucky for me I am a SAHM so it wasn't something we HAD to do.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 10:41 PM on May. 12, 2009

• hi! i agree with the first poster,.try having daddy give her the bottle she wont take it from you because she knows where the good stuff is! lol and i looked at your pictures and your daughter and you are both beautiful! GOOD LUCK!
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 10:43 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Have you tried a varriety of bottles? I hate to say this but some babies are just like that, my DS refused the bottle, however my daughter was fine with the transition. My DS still nurses at nap time, bed time and in the middle of the night. A friend of mine wanted to nurse her son until he was at least a year however after three months her baby refused, and he prefers the bottle. Good luck! I suggest checking out LLL.org they have a great deal of information and tips to help with any problem.
    Wildkitten82

Answer by Wildkitten82 at 10:45 PM on May. 12, 2009

• bring your pump with you leave your daughter with?? say your mom, and some bottles of breast milk and go out ALL DAY she will eventually take a bottle from another care giver... she may never take a bottle while you are present
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:45 PM on May. 12, 2009

• WHen she gets hungry enough and its offered she will take it..just don't be there and don't be the one to give it...my son hated them too..

keep in mind that a baby can STTN for 8-10 hours and not nurse if she refuses the bottle while you work she will nurse when you get home and make up for it just fine..
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 10:46 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Make sure the milk is heated up !!! I nurse and of course my daughter will not take a bottle from me no matter what but she will take it from someone eles but only if its warm like it would be when she is nursing!
    nursinghannah

Answer by nursinghannah at 11:17 PM on May. 12, 2009

• My first refused bottles too. Definitely have someone else give the bottle and you hide in a nother room while they do or leave completely. If that doesn't work then try spoon feeding or at that age my doc suggested trying a sippy cup with help and that worked for us.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:49 AM on May. 13, 2009