Home schooling Moms

OK I am seriously thinking about home schooling my kids. My girl is 4.5 and is in PreK. She's to start K in the fall full time in my district. I'm having some issues with some stuff they teach her. It goes against my beliefs and I try to explain it to her but she says "but Mommy Teacher said so!" Ugh I'm her Mother!! SO here's the ? do any of you work and home school? Is that possible ? How do you get started?

MELRN

Asked by MELRN at 10:39 PM on May. 12, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I did it for years, but my work schedule was different I worked sat - tues and was home the rest of the week. I kindergarden cirriculum should not be too time consuming. You should be able to do a few hours in the evening or on the weekend with a full time job
    mrssullivan

Answer by mrssullivan at 1:59 AM on May. 13, 2009

• I was thinking about it too. Try a KCEA approved Christian school. I think kids should be around other kids if at all possible! There is so much they enjoy about being with other kids and in school. This is your decision but I think I would leave it to the pros!
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 10:46 PM on May. 12, 2009

• KCEA is a scholarship to really help keep the tuition down like 2,000 dollars down!
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 10:48 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Oh, they brainwash them so young don't they? My SS comes home and says stuff like that and it just drives me nuts.
    Anonymous

• Oh, and to answer your question - I hope to homeschool next year. I kinda of work part time but it's our family business and I plan to just do what I need to do at night while he's sleeping.
    Anonymous

• Check out the "Happy Homeschoolers" group here on Cafemom. You'll find tons of info there.
    happy1mom

Answer by happy1mom at 1:03 AM on May. 13, 2009

• I homeschooled and went to school and worked. It can be done.
    During K you are MOSTLY teaching skills. These skills are important but can be learned through creative methods. Look online for free printables and resources. Use your library alot. Homeschool when it is convenient for you. We do it later in the day. So what, we also are done in two to three hours verses 8 hours. I lost my point......LOL. Yes, it can be done. Join Happy Homeschoolers, it is a great group. :)
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 2:28 AM on May. 13, 2009

• I agree with joining that homeschool group here on CafeMom. It's been so helpful to me!

Just be sure you know your state's laws with homeschooling. You don't have to homeschool through an "academy". You can take 100% control yourself. Buy the books you choose =)
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:36 PM on May. 13, 2009