MY DD gets mad if she doesn't win........

She is 3 and gets mad if she doesn't win at board games or playing soccer in the yard with me and my DH. She gets mad and cries. Is this normal? i don't want her to be like this. I want her to have fun whether she wins or loses!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:48 PM on May. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• try having no winning games like a Christian book store like Mustard Seed!
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 10:59 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Yes, it's normal. My oldest stepbaby was like that and we explained to him very honestly that if he acts like that other kids won't play with him. We told him that WE wouldn't play with him if he was going to act like that and stuck to it. We told him that he'd have to tell us when he was able to play and not pitch a fit when he lost.

It was still touch-and-go, but he's gotten a lot better. :) Just be consistant about not playing with her if she acts up if she loses.
    Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 11:12 PM on May. 12, 2009

• It's normal. I agree with Avarah. Tell her you won't play games if she's not going to be a good sport about it. 3 is kinda young, but she knows what she is doing by this point! Whatever you do, do not give in to it and let her win all the time!
    beadingmom17

Answer by beadingmom17 at 11:36 PM on May. 12, 2009

• It's normal, all kids go through this you need to teach her that she isn't always going to win. When my kids went through this I explained at the beginning of the game that if they started whining they were losing the game would end right then and there. After a few times of quitting in the middle of a game and putting it away they learned.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 11:43 PM on May. 12, 2009

• It is very normal. Until they are about 7, it is actually ok to let them win. If they can't lose nicely though, they should not get to play for a while.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:05 AM on May. 13, 2009

• My son did that. We always let him win and eventually he grew out of it. I got very good at "cheating" on boards games in order to loose.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:01 PM on May. 13, 2009