Are you ready to pay more taxes?

Senators Consider Soda Tax to Help Fund Health Care Overhaul
The Senate Finance Committee is set to hear proposals from about a dozen experts about how to pay for the comprehensive health-care overhaul, including a proposal to tax sugary drinks.
Senate leaders are considering new federal taxes on soda and other sugary drinks to help pay for an overhaul of the nation's health-care system.
The taxes would pay for only a fraction of the cost to expand health-insurance coverage to all Americans and would face strong opposition from the beverage industry. They also could spark a backlash from consumers who would have to pay several cents more for a soft drink.
The Center for Science in the Public Interest, a Washington-based watchdog group that pressures food companies to make healthier products, plans to propose a federal excise tax on soda, certain fruit drinks, energy drinks, sports drinks and ready-to-drink teas.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:55 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• good. soda is so bad for you, maybe people will stop drinking so much of it. then again, it'll probably just be like the cigarette tax. people will bitch and moan, but still pay it
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 10:56 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Somehow I doubt this will go forward. I doubt congress will want to stand up to "Big Soda", lol.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 10:57 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Come on all of you who are going to say you don't care because you don't drink the stuff and fat people should have to pay the tax because they cost the healhcare system money. Come on, I'm waiting.
    Anonymous

• Just like the alcohol tax. Why don't they tax Spa Treatments or haircuts or lubing your car? I do wonder when it'll stop?
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:59 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Yay! Good idea! I don't drink soda , pop, whatever. It rots your teeth and its not good for your whole body. I drink filtered water and ice tea.
    Anonymous

• Wait till people find out they will be taxed just for getting in your car and driving.
    Scorpio359

Answer by Scorpio359 at 11:06 PM on May. 12, 2009

• more scare tactics, lovely!
    Anonymous

• I don't really drink soda so I don't care. If they can put a sin tax on cigarettes why can't they put a sin tax on soda, it's not like its helping you to live longer. It's just another idea made possible because of one law that already exists and creates a doorway for it. Yes it is a little ridiculous. They should mandate a price reduction on healthy foods, how bout that?
    Tickledtrauma

Answer by Tickledtrauma at 11:18 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Better re-read the article--its not just soda that they propose to be taxed! Although DIET drinks will not be taxed.
    So let me see.....little Johnny, (gulp), I'm sorry, but you have to pay the Democrat soda tax for that Sprite. And that Hershey's bar, yeah, that has the Democrat tax, too. Oh yeah, I almost forgot...you owe the government for that band aide you just put on your skinned knee...Oh shut up and quit crying about your allowance... mommy has to pay her Democrat cheeseburger tax and her Democrat right-handed tax and her Democrat existence tax, and her Democrat air-breathing tax, and her Democrat tax, tax, tax, tax, tax, tax. But look out because that CO2 you emit while apologizing has a Democrat global warming tax, too.
    Anonymous

• There are lot of things I don't buy or use, but its the priniciple. I don't think that taxing everything under the sun to fund this and that, especially healhcare when they haven't even come up with a plan to implement it, let alone tell us what it will entail, is pure bull. I don't think its fair to anyone. This isn't an excise tax they want, its a punishment tax. Sooner or later it will end up not funding anything because as people stop buying the products taxed, like cigarettes, the revenues become pretty much non-existent. Then what? Move on to the next thing. Maybe they should tax birth and death. You have a baby, you pay a tax, you die, your next-of-kin pays a tax. Sure things I'd say--how many people are born everyday and how many people die.
    Anonymous