How long should I keep my one month old baby girl up after I feed her

Emma is one and a half month old... I feed her formula *similac* and she tends to spit up even after I burp her, not much but just a bit here and there. How long should I sit her up for before laying her back down to sleep? I'm a first time Mommy and I love this website, you guys are so great at responding so quickly =)

booboogirlEMMA

Asked by booboogirlEMMA at 11:12 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try propping her basinett or crib matress with rolled up sheets UNDER the matress. It will keep her at a nice angle. Does she cry when she spits up? Or is it just a mess?
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 11:15 PM on May. 12, 2009

• make sure to feed her small amounts frequently if shes a spitter...smaller amounts more often instead of larger amounts farther apart...and 30-45 min after feeding helps alot, swings not moving, bouncy chairs or even a carseat at the 45 degree angle will help keep your baby upright
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 11:15 PM on May. 12, 2009

• OH yeah, you can also get a sling to carry her kinda upright while she sleeps.
    MoonLover06

• it really depends like with my daughter i kept her sitting up for 10 minutes and others only keep tem in the up right position for a few minutes i would just wait a couple minutes after she is done spitting up and you should be ok
    lilysmommy1408

Answer by lilysmommy1408 at 11:16 PM on May. 12, 2009

• How much is she eating at a time? My two month old was eating 4-6 ounces at a time at a month and a half (big girl, tall baby). She spit up sometimes, so I would burp her every 1-2 ounces, just to make sure all the gas bubbles got out. A car seat also works wonders. It won't hurt her to let her sleep in it (on the floor, not unattended, you awake). Good luck to you!
    KatieBatey

Answer by KatieBatey at 11:29 PM on May. 12, 2009

• It depends. Your baby will let you know when she is ready to go back down. And MoonLover06 made a good point. Prop up her crip or bassinett mattress, underneath the mattress. This will help with her spitting up. Other than that, take your babies cues. She's the best one to tell you what she needs and wants.
    krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 11:55 PM on May. 12, 2009

• My baby has spit up a lot since he was born, he is 5 1/2 months old now. I always try to keep him proped up in my arms or in his swing or bouncy for about half hour after eating. It seems to help. If I lay him down right away he spits up out of his nose. Scary thing. But if you have something you have to do a swing or infant carrier of any sort that will prop the baby up will help.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 12:14 AM on May. 13, 2009

• Some babies are just spitters. If she's not spitting up an ounce or so, you're not feeding her too much.

You don't have to "keep her up" for any length of time. You can let her go back to sleep. Let her snooze in your arms or in her carrier for 20 minutes and then lay her down if you want. Just a "bit here and there" isn't anything to be concerned about, really. All three of mine did that. No biggy.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:53 AM on May. 13, 2009