Great ideas for helping ot my foster nephew. I have treid most of them. Next question, How long is too long to let him cry it out? His cry turns into screams like from fear. And he gets a look of fear also. I have tried the night time bath and lotions, christian music on radio, nightlight, let him cry. But he still even wakes up every 2 hrs like an infant. Plz, keep the ideas coming.

auntmommy68

Asked by auntmommy68 at 11:14 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• try a Jesus Loves Me wind up bear at the Mustard Seed.
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 11:20 PM on May. 12, 2009

• If he has suffered some type of psychological trauma causing him to revert back to infantile behavior, I wouldn't let him CIO. CIO is for children who have the ability to self-soothe as well as know that they're safe and secure. If he, for some reason, has been conditioned to think that he is anything BUT safe and secure (whether by psychological, emotional, physical abuse/deprivation ect.), CIO is only going to terrify him more. He needs to know that when he cries for help someone will be there. The next step is to take him for some professional therapy to work on methods custom-built for him by a professional to help him feel more confident by himself at night.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:22 PM on May. 12, 2009

• get a tv with spongebob for breaks
    Anonymous

• Is he getting enough to eat? Could it just be that he is hungry like an infant would be?
    I would not let him CIO if he is waking up that often and crying like that. Do you have a good night time routine established?
    NewMommyin06

Answer by NewMommyin06 at 12:20 AM on May. 13, 2009

• NovemberLove said it best. CIO is tough on any child and tougher on one that might have some security issues. Right now he just needs to know he's safe.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 12:34 AM on May. 13, 2009

• No CIO for a scared child. CIO is for children who are trying to control you, not for one crying in fear. NL is right on this.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 12:52 AM on May. 13, 2009

• We never did the cry it out thing. With my daughter, I found that responding quickly to her needs was a little more efficient. For instance, she just woke up and started to fuss a little. I went in, sat at the end of her bed, and patted her back. The whole thing took less than 2 minutes. If I had let her cry, she would have become increasingly sad, scared, frustrated, or anxious. It sounds like he needs a little more comforting. I am sure it is very hard for you to wake up every two hours! I remember that. But try to remember that feelings of safety and security are so important to infants and toddlers. Good luck!
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 2:38 AM on May. 13, 2009

• With CIO, I wouldn't go longer than 10 minutes, go in rub his back, reassure him that even though he can't see you, you are still there. give him some water and back to bed and repeat. (if he's crying that hard, he's going to be thrusty!). Like the others are saying, I don't think it's right to let him scream if he's scared or freaking out.

Where does he sleep? Is he alone in his own room? You might try a pack n' play or the crib in your room. Sleep near him, but not with you. Let him get used to that bed iwth you close enough to comfort him. Once he gets comfortable with the bed then you can try moving it to his room. OR try sleeping in his room for a bit until he gets used to it. Unless he's relaly freaking out, I wouldn't stay too close. Just enough to reenfource the idea that you are there for him, even if your not touching him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:40 AM on May. 13, 2009

• CIO IS ALMOST LIKE CHILD ABUSE IN THE KIDS EYES AND MINE . THERE TERRIFIED AND LONELY, I TRIED THIS AND MY DD WAS MORTIFIED...YELLING, RUNNING,TAKING HER CLOTHS OFF COMPLETELY SO SHE COULD USE THE POTTY,PULLING ALL THE SHEETS OFF HER BED AND SHE HAS NOTHING WRONG WITH HER ,SHE'S A NORMAL CHILD! WHO EVER DECIDED THIS WAS A NORMAL TYPE OF TEACHING FOR A CHILD WAS CRAZY AND THE SAD THING IS THAT ALL THESE PARENTS LIVE BY THIS! I WOULD NOT TRY THIS ...I WOULD MAKE SURE HE ATE ABOUT THIRTY MINUTES BEFORE BED AND HAD A BATH WITH THE CALMING BATH WASH AND LOTIONS ,THEN SOME BOOKS, AND A NIGHT LIGHT ...TRY THE FISH BOWL ONES KIDS LOVE EM,OR THE PROJECTOR THAT SHOWS PICTURES ON THE CEILING!http://www.amazon.com/BEZG-38716-LIVING-AQUARIUM-LAMP/dp/B00158L34I

http://www.shopping.com/xPO-Homedics-Sound-Spa-Lullaby-Relaxation-Machine
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on May. 13, 2009

• I wouldn't leave him to cry for very long. A few minutes (just to see if he might settle) then go back in an reassure him. SIt in the room to keep him compnay but leave him in the crib. When he's asleep, leave. Try moving where you sit closer to the door until you're eventually out of the room. To me, this is a gentler way to get him to sleep better.
    Anonymous