I might be the only one...

but do any of you other moms get pissed when going to a store and you find their shopping carts in poor condition or there are not enough family style shopping carts? I have 2 young girls and they really both need to be restrained by a belt. The store I go to rarely has the family ones available because they only have a few. The regular carts either have broken seats, broken handles, wire baskets in the front that have come un-soldered, or broken/ripped/missing seatbelts! I have brought up some of these issues to managers, but they don't seem to care. Cart covers are always an option but that usually requires a working seatbelt on the cart! I might be the only one who has issues with the lack of cart safety but I'm hoping other moms are also pissed about the lack of caring!

beadingmom17

Asked by beadingmom17 at 11:28 PM on May. 12, 2009 in General Parenting

• yes esp. at the mall no carts except Sears
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 11:30 PM on May. 12, 2009

• badI'm right there with you. I only have one DD, but I get really irritated when I get a broken cart!! Especially when I get one where the wheel makes awful noises all the way through the store...So irritating!!

pamelajqs

Answer by pamelajqs at 11:30 PM on May. 12, 2009

• LOL, pamelajqs! I forgot about all the broken wheels! And the rust...so frustrating! I have been contemplating starting a coalition of moms to advocate for better cart safety. I mean, they even post proper cart usage and safety ON THE CARTS! I love reading "Always use strap to restrain child" on the seat and seeing cut off/torn off or broken seat belts...real useful!

beadingmom17

Answer by beadingmom17 at 11:33 PM on May. 12, 2009

• YES! That pisses me off so much. The grocery store across the street is famous for having broken belt buckles. Or buckles that won't unfasten after they have been buckled... gee, I wonder why so many are broken. It makes me so mad. Then if I push my son through the store without being strapped in (I keep a grasp on his arm the entire time) I get nasty looks from the workers and other shoppers. I quit. But for the most part... I haven't had that problem. Just at that particular Kroger.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 11:45 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Yes! Broken seat belts are the biggest problem. I have seen carts where it looks like some *idiot* didn't know how to unbuckle the belt so they cut it off, or belts that are tied in knots so many times that they are now to short to go around a dolls waist, let alone a child. It's just as bad at some restaurants I've been to. Broken or missing belts, wobbly high chairs. Talk to the manager of the store, and tell them to get it fixed. And if it's not fixed soon that you will call the Health & Safety department. Carts, highchairs, booster seats and changing tables are all things that need to be maintained and if they aren't up to safety standards the owner can get into trouble.

MomOfJandM

Answer by MomOfJandM at 12:09 AM on May. 13, 2009

• YES! Very irritating. I actually keep a belt with me so I always have a way to secure my daughter.

http://www.amazon.com/TomNTammi-stblt2007-Portable-Toddler-Seat/dp/B000XYIKKK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1242189584&sr=8-2
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:43 AM on May. 13, 2009

• The grocery store they made these carts that where supposed to be kid friendly; the have cars the kids can sit in infront of the cart. Cute idea but they forgot one thing SAFETY! Just like regular carts the belts are broken, and my 2 year old loves trying to climb out of it while we are moving. Then the old fashioned seat never has a belt either, and that noise I can't stand it!
    ShiningStar24

Answer by ShiningStar24 at 1:37 AM on May. 13, 2009

• Can you put one child in a backpack?

Answer by rkoloms at 6:01 AM on May. 13, 2009

• I don't think our walmart has one cart that doesn't have that thumping ratty wheel on it. I hate their carts. I bring our stroller, the are belted in and by a belt that is not filth encrusted because nasty moms allow their kids to chew on them..think I just threw up in my mouth a little!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:00 AM on May. 13, 2009

• salexander, how do you work pushing a stroller and a shopping cart? I have often thought "I should just stick the girls in their stroller" but then I'm like "HTF am I supposed to push a double stroller AND a shopping cart?!"
    beadingmom17

Answer by beadingmom17 at 1:06 PM on May. 13, 2009