Transitioning to milk

We are starting to transition our 10 1/2 mo old to milk per our pedis instructions. Her iron level tested high enough b/c she is a great eater. I started mixing it at 1/4 milk to 3/4 formula and it wasn't sitting well on her tummy. I went back to formula and want to try again, but is this the proper way to do it or do I need to try something else. I have also added probiotics to her diet in case she is having problems with the milk itself.

coala

Asked by coala at 11:37 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We just switched to milk.

I agree that probiotics aren't going to do anything if it's a milk sensitivity. If she's been eating dairy products with no trouble, and her formula was milk based, it's not likely to be a problem with the milk.

Do it just like any other new food....give it to her and try it for a few days to see if there is any reaction. Don't give any other new foods. If there's any issues, let the doctor know.

If she's eating well, a balanced diet of table foods, it's fine to switch her to milk. Our pediatrician had us do it at 9 months. If they're getting their nutrition from food, there is no reason for them to need formula any longer. "Double nutrition" isn't doing anything for them.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:15 AM on May. 13, 2009

• Do you give it to her warm or cold? Perhaps see if altering the temperature has something to do with it.
    MommyDumDum

Answer by MommyDumDum at 12:00 AM on May. 13, 2009

• I never heard of anyone mixing them together, maybe thats the problem. I started my daughter at 11 months. I gave her one 4 oz. cup of milk a day. she did fine with it. I started giving her two then three then just milk. It was probably a period of a month that i did it. It could be the milk. But the only way to find out is to give her just milk. Good Luck. :D
    Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 12:00 AM on May. 13, 2009

• I would try just plain milk by itself. i wouldn't want it to mess with the iron in her formula and formula still needs to be her main nutrition. Probiotics really wouldn't help if she's allergic to the milk. Just make sure you take your time, a couple ounces for now will be fine.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 12:32 AM on May. 13, 2009

• We never put milk in our DD's bottle. We've just given her bottles at nap and bedtime of formula, then at meal time give her sippy cups of milk. She never had a problem with straight up milk. At that point, it wasn't about nutrition as much as hydration, since she was eating table foods for three meals and snacks.
    mkemom519

Answer by mkemom519 at 9:45 AM on May. 13, 2009

• Thanks for all of you help ladies. I have tried altering the temp on the formula. She eats 3 meals a day with no snacks most of the time, b/c her napping schedule doesn't alot for it. She is up eats and takes a nap all with in 2 hours and sleep for about 2 hours. I tried just milk today and it went over better then it did a week ago. I don't think that it is a milk allergy but her reflux that was made worse by the milk. That is why I went with the probiotics in case she is missing something. She hasn't really had milk products up to this point. Thanks again for all of your help.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:47 PM on May. 13, 2009