Am I the only one who still thinks it's cool?

Today I saw what "My Baby Can Read". Teaching your baby to readat 9 months! Potty training as infants? Okay, first of all, if you choose to do these things, go for it. I'm NOT saying anyone is wrong, but I just don't get it. Why do people have to push their babies to do things older kids do? Don't our babies grow up fast enough with out us pushing them? Am I the only one who still thinks it's cool to carry around diapers and pull ups for my 2 month old and my two year old? Does anyone else thinks it's okay to be able to read a story to your kids and them NOT know the words? My DD doesn't know how to read so she makes up her own stories with the pictures. Even if I have read the story 20 times, she will still come up with something different. It is the greatest and most amusing thing to watch. And my DS will just stare at the pictures forever. I would rather have this in my home any day than a baby who can read.

krissyvelazquez

Asked by krissyvelazquez at 11:39 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Yep live and let live. If this is a choice you make fine but I am old fashioned, I have 5 kids and have not lost or had permenent damage done to any of them because they waited until school to learn how to read, had a binky until they were pushing 4 yrs, potty trained when THEY were ready not forced, was given fruit first and at 4 months, and slept on their tummies if that is where they were happy. People are way too judgmental these days.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:10 AM on May. 13, 2009

• i use cloth diapers, and i love seeing my toddler walk around in them! he'll be 2 next month, and i keep hearing people say their toddlers are potty trained already, well whatever, my son isn't ready and his colourful cloth diapers are just adorable!
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 11:41 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I totally agree with you.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:41 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I agree with you. I think trying to teach them these things make them grow up too fast and I prefer to enjoy the precious moments and let my child learn at their own pace.
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 11:42 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I totally agree...Let them be little!! I was very happy though when my DD was potty trained at 2 years old, she didn't do it because I pushed it on her though, she did it because she really loved the potty, and was very interested in it! I do love the stories that she comes up with to go with the pictures though. It really shows how much imagination that they have!!!
    pamelajqs

Answer by pamelajqs at 11:42 PM on May. 12, 2009

• its kool if you feel that way but ii actually liked the "your baby can read ad"... not sure how true it is, but i would give it a try
    StarrCooKie

Answer by StarrCooKie at 11:45 PM on May. 12, 2009

• yes i agree with you. i think its very unfair to make them grow up soooo fast. What for??
    They will get there eventually, everyone else made it here ok ,,,right ladies?!?!!!
    So i just found out they are teaching Geometry in 1st grade. WHY??!!
    I didn't learn that until the 10th grade. And everything else they have to do?!?!?! I just want my kids to enjoy being a kid. They grow up too fast as it is. Theres no need to push them, hell, i'm trying to pull them back.....lol.
    Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 11:47 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I agree. They grow up way to fast. Dh is tall so my kids are tall for their age making them look older. I'm doing everything I can to help them stay kids. Puberty is starting in kids younger too. I just had to buy training bras for my 7 1/2 yr old. The next time I blink they are going to be graduating. Let kids stay kids is what I say.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 11:55 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I have the feeling that most people do this more to "show off" There's so many parents out there that will go to the limits to make sure their children are considered smarter, prettier, more popular, etc. etc. in comparison to their peers. Some parents might buy in to the "Oh, if your baby can learn to read at that age, he will be a genius when he's older!"

But once again, I think most do it to show it off so they can eat up all of the "oos" and "ahhs" and "Oh my!" "I can't believe your baby can do that!" etc.

Anonymous

• my younger brother could read and write before he was 4 yrs old. no1 pushed or forced him. i guess he just picked it up. Im not sure... but he def had and still has a normal child hood. he's eleven now.
    yes, he is a very smart kid, but he still def a kid. :) i dnt think we're doing any harm. but 2 each his/her own. right???
    StarrCooKie

Answer by StarrCooKie at 12:03 AM on May. 13, 2009