Should I take my DS to the doctor if I think he may have pink eye?

I noticed this morning after my 6 month old DS woke up that one side of his right eye was red. I been watching him all day to see if he itches it and I keep his hands really clean and he really doesn't seem irritated by it. Should I see the doctor or does it go away on its own?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:44 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Health

• Yes, you should. The eyes are not always goopy with pink eye and it is highly contagious. If you don't get the drops or cream, it can spread to the other eye, and to everyone in your house. Also, left untreated pink eye can cause other problems.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:56 PM on May. 13, 2009

• I would take him if it is still red in the morning. They usually give some eye drops or ointment for it. It's also pretty contagious- so you and other poeple around him need to be careful too!
    Greenbeans422

Answer by Greenbeans422 at 11:47 PM on May. 12, 2009

• if you're nursing, squirt some breastmilk in his eye every few hours. it will clear it right up
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 11:48 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Yes, they need antibiotics for that. It may clear up on its own, but without antibiotics it is very contaigous. It also may not clear up on its own, or maybe infect the other eye. I would take him just to make sure and if anything it will clear up quicker. Good Luck.
    Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 11:51 PM on May. 12, 2009

• If it is pinkeye it will be terribly goopy by morning. Yes you can squirt breastmilk in it SOMETIMES. It doesn't work for everyone. I went through this with my first. My doctor gave us BOTH meds. He said, if baby has it mom will get it. AND he was right, the next morning I woke with double pinkeye.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:10 AM on May. 13, 2009