• In the Spotlight:

for mothers of acid reflux babies , do you think that your children should suffer with their reflux so it can toughen them up ..?

i have 2 reflux children and i could not think of not helping them with their pain and yes both of my kids are on reflux meds , however this was replied to me in a reflux
/colic question and it amazed me that someone would let their child suffer .. =(

That doesn't mean we *always* need to fix the "damage" with medications, it may be a physiological rite of passage for babies to toughen them up for when they are older

bwsmommy

Asked by bwsmommy at 11:49 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Kids' Health

• WHOA!!! obviously that person who posted that to you has not had any reflux problems and doesnt understand how painful it can be, i have been in tears myself cause i had heartburn so bad and its caused me to throw up, whoever would let their baby suffer to "toughen them up" is a witch with a capital B
    Breezy1988

Answer by Breezy1988 at 11:50 PM on May. 12, 2009

• I have a reflux baby and I would never "let her suffer". She was in pain and I did everything I could to help her. She still has bad reflux, but we are no longer on meds and only treat when it bothers her, with mylanta. That same person may be the kind of person who will let her child suffer with a fever or pain and not give tylenol. I agree that not all things should be treated and some need to run their course, but reflux is painful and if left untreated then it can potentially cause cancer.
    coala

Answer by coala at 11:52 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Why would you want to "toughen up" someone that you are supposed to love, comfort, and protect? My baby didn't have reflux, but he had horrible gas/stomach pains that made him so fussy. I did everything I could to comfort him and help him. Allowing a baby to suffer and doing nothing for him/her is beyond cruel. Sorry. I know there are some situations that medication doesn't help... but I would keep trying.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 11:55 PM on May. 12, 2009

• i didnt realize until my baby was 8 months that she had reflux. She had all the symptoms, but the doctor said it was normal. I felt so bad. now i know better for my next baby.
    HelloKitty86

Answer by HelloKitty86 at 12:00 AM on May. 13, 2009

• awww... that is so sad Hellokitty. thats not YOUR fault though, you werent intentionally putting her baby through pain to "toughen em up"
    Breezy1988

Answer by Breezy1988 at 12:02 AM on May. 13, 2009

• *your
    Breezy1988

• Whoever said that needs to be asked if they would mind swallowing some battery acid. That's what my heartburn feels like sometimes, and I can't imagine it was much better for my about-to-be one year old before we got her on medication. Does that idiot realize that acid reflux can cause permanent damage to the esophagus if left untreated? People like that make me mad enough to spit nails. Why would you let your child suffer if you could do ANYTHING about it? How cruel!
    3_is_enough

Answer by 3_is_enough at 12:03 AM on May. 13, 2009

• Oh my goodness no! My son doesn't have reflux, thankfully... but I would never let him suffer through it. it not causes damage but it can cause major feeding difficulty and weight gain issues.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:07 AM on May. 13, 2009

• Reflux is a medical concern because of the possibility of aspiration (stomach contents going into the lungs). This can lead to aspiration pneumonia, which has a high mortality rate. I can't imagine how it can benefit to child to let him or her suffer through it.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 12:12 AM on May. 13, 2009

• She's an idiot. Reflux is a serious medical condition and shouldn't be ignored. Not to mention, I don't know about most people, but I was ready to throw myself out a window after about 48 hours of non-stop blood curdling shrieks from a child weighing less than 10lbs.
    mom2ljh

Answer by mom2ljh at 12:15 AM on May. 13, 2009