best way?

what is the best way to break a dog of pooping in the house?..we've got a lab whom we've gotten pretty much house broken..at least as far as the peeing part goes.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:55 PM on May. 12, 2009 in Pets

• Postive reinforcement. Maybe a little treat, or some belly rubbing. You just have to make a huge deal when they do it!!! Just like children. When they go in the house you really have to catch them in the act to scold them other wise they just think your crazy. It takes a couple days and a bottle of lysol but he'll get the hang of it. Labs are a good breed. We had a black lab growing up it tooks about 4 days to train. Some dog breeds have a harder time. I had a boxer that took about 3 months!!! and I can even tell you how many bottles of lysol!!!!!
    Jillybeans24

Answer by Jillybeans24 at 12:05 AM on May. 13, 2009

• A lab will not think you are crazy if you don't catch him in the act and discipline him when you find it. They are VERY intelligent dogs. When mine was a pup, he had chewed up a decorative pillow from my room. Well, when I walked in the front door I obviously did not know that he had done it yet, but he still was acting very...guilty. I took him for a walk around the house, from room to room, and as soon as we were outside of my bedroom door he coward down and I knew that whatever it was he had done it was in my room.

Don't rub his nose IN it, you can suffocate him that way. But push his nose onto the floor next to it, and give him a light slap on the nose (just hard enough for him to know you are mad). Labs are very sensitive dogs and doing this just a couple of times will get his attention and fix your problem.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:13 AM on May. 13, 2009

• At the same time, watch for his signs. Mine will grab his leash, and at first I thought he just wanted to play. Turns out that was his way of telling me he has to go outside.

There are other things, sitting by the door, following you around the house pestering you....he will tell you somehow. Listen to him.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 12:15 AM on May. 13, 2009

• I agree with Carolyn, we have a lab mix and she will get real crazy when she needs to go out. She will follow us around the house, nudge our legs with her nose, do circles around our legs, and jump up at us to get our attention to take her out. She will also go and lay in front of our back door. We trained her just being consistant. When she was a little pup we took her out every 20 minutes, then increased it to every half hour, then every hour. Now we have it to where she will tell us most of the time, but if we notice that she has not been out for about 2 hours we take her out on our own. She is about 6 months old now, and pretty much tells us when she needs to go out. Now if I can get her to leash walk!
    BabyBeans0506

Answer by BabyBeans0506 at 2:16 AM on May. 13, 2009