hate crime?

i don't understand why if a straight man kills a gay man it is considered a hate crime. but if a straight man kills another straight man it's just plain old murder. why is a gay man's life valued more than any other persons life? and don't say that it's different because a gay man was killed just because he was gay. murder is murder any way you look at it regardless of what the motive was.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on May. 13, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Well every time a man rapes and kills a woman I can promise you it begins terror to other women and it promotes mistrust of other men, but that's not a hate crime. No because apparently the rape and murder of a women isn't as SERIOUS a crime as the murder of a gay man! 

Julia0331

Answer by Julia0331 at 5:11 PM on May. 13, 2009

• i don't think its that the gay man's life is considered more valuable, or any other person killed b/c of a hate crime. they just get more news footage b/c they are usually more disgusting crimes. murder in any case is murder, it just a different motive thats all.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:13 AM on May. 13, 2009

• I don't believe murder is murder regardless of intent. If a mob boss order a hit on someones family member in order to control that persons actions then the motive is very relavent. It's the same thing if a person is murder to dur hate for thier sexual orientaion/gender idetnificatio/religion/race/color/nationality/et, etc.

A hate crime is intended to send a message to an entire group. A group of people (whichever group) being harmed IS more concerning than just one individual being harmed.

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 12:15 AM on May. 13, 2009

• I've never understood the hate crime laws. Murder is murder, plain and simple. The motivation for anyone to take another life is always sick and twisted, and it always involves hate of some sort. I'm all for gay rights, but I don't believe that their rights are more important than mine. If I were murdered by a woman-hating psycho, I'd still be just as dead, and it wouldn't be considered a hate crime at all. Punish the guilty, but do so in the name of justice. And justice is all about equality.
    3_is_enough

Answer by 3_is_enough at 12:15 AM on May. 13, 2009

• * i meant if a person is murder due to hate for thier

~sleepy over here...

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 12:16 AM on May. 13, 2009

• *murdered

LOL I don't know whats wrong with me

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 12:17 AM on May. 13, 2009

• 9/11 was a hate crime (which is what terrorism is) against Americans and most people are against terrorism, I don't see the difference.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:20 AM on May. 13, 2009

• Because If it was due to the victim being gay, it was a crime motivated by hate , hence the term hate-crime.
    CSRodriguez

Answer by CSRodriguez at 12:21 AM on May. 13, 2009

• The person commiting the murder has made it clear they are targeting a person because of their race, gender, religion or sexual orientation. There is proof the person commiting the murder belongs to a hate group or made a gesture that would implicate the crime as a hate crime.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 12:24 AM on May. 13, 2009

• They don't call it a hate crime unless there is proof that the murderer killed because of a prejudice.

MomOfJandM

Answer by MomOfJandM at 12:26 AM on May. 13, 2009