Is it really that difficult to put an ID tag on your dog?

So I was walking my little chi/rat terrier today, and when we were on our way home this black lab (who had a collar but NO identification) started following us. He was friendly but my poor dog didn't like him (he was being "violated") and so I had to carry Sam(my dog) the rest of the way home, thank goodness he's only 8 pounds. Had this lab had an ID tag, I would have gladly taken him home, he was just too cute and sweet to be running around town the way he was, and it doesn't help matters that our yearly carnival is in town and the carnies are very strange, and would probably try to harm him.
Is it honestly that hard to put some form of ID on your dogs collar?

LadyJayne27

Asked by LadyJayne27 at 12:33 AM on May. 13, 2009 in Pets

• An ID tag is like $7, how can someone not afford it??? Go to a PetCo or basically any pet supply store, most of them have the machines right there (the one I used to work at did). Our dog has an ID tag on his collar, that he wears 24/7/365. Not having one on your dog is just asking for trouble.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 10:35 AM on May. 13, 2009

• no but if you're in my shoes we cant afford to, they have collars but we dont let them just roam around when they are walking we have both of them on a leash
    Breezy1988

Answer by Breezy1988 at 12:37 AM on May. 13, 2009

• Atleast your considerate enough to keep your dogs on leashes. People where I live just let their dogs roam wherever, and they always end up dead on the highway, its so sad.
    LadyJayne27

Answer by LadyJayne27 at 12:39 AM on May. 13, 2009

• It's the law here - and now we have a mandatory micro-chip ordinance for our pets as well... But our Mastiff doesn't wear a collar (can't get one big enough) - HOWEVER he does have a choke chain and his license is attached to that - so he has it when we walk him. It's not hard to put it on - but some dogs beat the crap out of them and before a year is up it's not legible anymore.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 12:49 AM on May. 13, 2009

• Wait, mandatory microchip? How is that legal?
    I could not keep a collar on our lab, she would get terrible skin rashes if we did. (She was allergic to everything!)
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:06 AM on May. 13, 2009

• MANDATORY microchip??? What a rip-off. I paid $60.oo for a microchip in our dog. Somebody is making a hella lot of loot off that law!
    SusieD250, try a nylon web or woven collar on your lab. It's cloth so it shouldn't cause an allergic reaction. Don't fasten it too tight either.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 8:26 AM on May. 13, 2009

• we had a rottie who ate her tags.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 9:02 AM on May. 13, 2009

• Use a Black Marker and write something on the collar atleast!!
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 10:15 AM on May. 13, 2009

• Exactly SarahLee.

I've even seen those machines at walmart, and some of them only charge like five bucks.

LadyJayne27

Answer by LadyJayne27 at 12:12 PM on May. 13, 2009

• it may of been micro chipped. our dog used to have tags but we noticed one day they were missing. sometimes they just loose them and it's often times when they get out like with our boxer. so far we have been lucky that our poodle hasn't lost her as well cause that is how they get returned to us cause of her tags but if our boxer got out alone she would be prey to the people who keep dogs they like. your making assumptions that may not be true like i said they may of fallen off somehow or taken off by someone and then got away from who ever found the dog first etc.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 12:48 PM on May. 13, 2009