does a epidural hurt hurt when you get one?

im scared out of my mind to get one but iknow it will help....but i have heard so many horror stories about them that is freaks me out knowing i am getting one...my doctor recomends (sp?) it because the baby is so big and he might induce me ....... but should i be worried about it? first time mom to be is worried like crazy and needs some comfort.....or a few dont worries.....

proudmama2be88

Asked by proudmama2be88 at 12:40 AM on May. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Nope didnt hurt me and i thought it was gonna hurt but it didnt
    proud_mum_mum

Answer by proud_mum_mum at 12:43 AM on May. 13, 2009

• No Ma'am... lol, nothing hurts more thn labor pains...lol
    but i was afraid also, but its a very quick procedure. the only thing i felt was
    a cold liquid traveling through my back, it felt like heaven compared to contractions.
    and it realli did help ease the pain A LOT!
    StarrCooKie

Answer by StarrCooKie at 12:43 AM on May. 13, 2009

• i had a spinal tap b/c i had a c-section, but i've heard they are similar only you feel more w/the epidural afterwards, where as the spinal tap totally numb. so sorry if i'm way off, but with a the spinal tap its like instant numb so you don't even have a chance to feel the pain
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:45 AM on May. 13, 2009

• it can hurt in the way, there's adverse reactions to consider when getting an epidural....

your baby's heart rate may lower, your blood pressure may lower.(happened to me and my baby).. other cons involved too...you can look it up.

it can wear off after a certain amount of time (mine lasted 45 minutes). don't get induced unless medically necessary...wait until 42 weeks.

when you're induced the pain is severe and epidural is probably a great thing...but, it can slow down labor too. it's all up to you.

this time, i'm trying an all natural VBAC!
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 12:46 AM on May. 13, 2009

• I didn't feel anything but alot of pressure, a sharp pinch, and cold stuff shooting through my back with my first baby. I also had it done with my second and third children. The spaces between my vertebrea shortened because I gained weight, and it was more difficult to get the needle in there with my last two. The other gals are right - the labor pains are more painful than the shot. Just remember to keep as still as you possibly can and push your back towards the person who is injecting you.
    happy1mom

Answer by happy1mom at 12:49 AM on May. 13, 2009

• you don't need an epidural! look into other pain management techniques. get a doula! if you're afraid of labour and delivery, of course it will hurt! fear = tension = pain. if you can address your fears and learn how to deal with them, childbirth will be much more enjoyable! look into hypnobirthing, using water to ease contractions, walking, dancing, using a birthing ball, the list goes on and on! there is NO way to know how big your baby is until its on the outside! its just a scare tactic your doc is trying to use on you. getting an epidural leads to a cascade of unnecessary interventions. it will slow down your labour, then they'll give you pitocin to speed things up, which will cause the baby to go into distress, and they'll send you in for an 'emergency' c-section that could've been avoided. not to mention, they're injecting a needle into a very small space in your spinal column. (cont)
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 12:50 AM on May. 13, 2009

• I was terrified of the epidural as well, but I promise... if you're in labor, you'll be ASKING for the epidural! lol I won't lie-- it was a little painful for me, but nothing unbearable and really just more of a strange, uncomfortable feeling than anything. It's really quick, and once it's done and it starts working, you'll be glad! There are a lot of horror stories about epidurals, you're right, BUT you have to remember that there are horror stories with any medical procedure.

Don't worry, hun, when the time comes you'll go through the motions just like the rest of us do, and you'll be just fine. No matter how great the pain of labor/delivery (and epidurals, etc. that go along with it) can be, it's all worth it to hold your little one at the end of it all!
    heather.huckaby

Answer by heather.huckaby at 12:52 AM on May. 13, 2009

• your baby is getting morphine from the drugs, which can cause the baby to be too sleepy and drowsy after birth, which will lead to another cascade of more interventions. look up amniotic fluid embolism. just because your doctor says 'you'll need an epidural' doesn't mean that you actually do, and he isn't telling you all the risks associated with it! please, for you and your baby's sakes, do some research into other options! i've been both routes, my first i got an epi as soon as i could, ended up with a c/s. my second, i had a drug-free vbac, and let me tell you, it was totally worth it!!
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 12:52 AM on May. 13, 2009

• Natural was better for ME. Maybe not for you. They had a lot of trouble with my epidural (I had to have c-section the second time) and it was quite painful to me, but I cry when I have to have an IV.
    sparrowprincess

Answer by sparrowprincess at 12:52 AM on May. 13, 2009

• I had an epidural, and it didn't hurt. I HIGHLY reccommend it. I didn't feel anything once I got it! It wasn't a pain so much as an uncomfortable pinch. It's a different feeling than you've ever felt before, and I'll be honest, it's not great, but if youre anything like me, you'll be thanking your anesthesiologist once he gives it to you!
    lynnseyfaye

Answer by lynnseyfaye at 12:52 AM on May. 13, 2009