Spin off from the "One-Upping" sister question from earlier. I'm curious;

Doesn't ignoring a person who is constantly being rude just give them more power because they get away with it? I mean, if there is someone who is always putting people down or one-upping people to make themselves feel/look better - then we all agree it's probably because that person has low self esteem - but that really doesn't help the person(s) who are constantly on the receiving end of their behavior - right. So, this is not a question about what that person should do - but rather; How do you extinguish someone's fiery tongue and stop them in their tracks?? Isn't that kind of behavior passive-aggressive? And if it is - what DO you do with a passive-aggressive person in a conversation like that? If you confront them and they say they didn't mean to offend or worse; accuse you of being "touchy" (which puts you back on the defensive). How really do you handle a situation like that?

PaceMyself

Asked by PaceMyself at 12:45 AM on May. 13, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Well I would think that its the attention they want. Some people want attention even if its negative attention, so I would withold that very thing that they want. Now I wouldnt stand by and allow them to abuse others though, but if its just me, then I would certainly not respond.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:10 AM on May. 13, 2009

• Well, I have a dragon of a sister-in-law and I pretend that I didn't hear her rude comments. I have noticed that it is making her tone it down because she's not getting a rise from me. Another thing is she likes to lie and now I know about what. So when she says."Your mom almost fell over that brick your son left there" I lie and say, "that's weird, because my mom is the one who put it there". Even though she didn't, it stops her in her tracks of bitching about my son and making her realize "Oh crap, Gigi just caught me in a lie". I laugh inside. I have several more, lol.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 1:05 AM on May. 13, 2009

• u just find people that do not compare and ignore the family as much as possible. BTDT
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 1:06 AM on May. 13, 2009

• maybe they are just trying to find out who is like who?
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 1:07 AM on May. 13, 2009

• think the best of people anf give them the benifit of the doubt!

2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 1:08 AM on May. 13, 2009