how do you put your little one to sleep?

We have been having a difficult time getting our 23 DD to sleep at night. It sometimes takes 2 hours. She needs us to lay down and cuddle with her until she falls to sleep. We have been tolerating but are ready to change.

We are not interested in CIO. I know there are other ways to help toddlers fall to sleep on their own. Any suggestions.

jcsscfam5

Asked by jcsscfam5 at 12:51 AM on May. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son is 16 months & I still rock him to sleep most nights... : /

I remember when my sister was that age, she would watch a little kiddie show on her tv in her room until she fell asleep at night. It usually only took a few minutes. Not sure if that's the best route to take, but maybe some kind of light show thing or music would help. I haven't actually read this book for myself, but I've heard great things about it. Here's a link about The No Cry Sleep Solution. Good luck!

http://www.pantley.com/elizabeth/books/0071444912.php
    heather.huckaby

Answer by heather.huckaby at 12:58 AM on May. 13, 2009

• i did the cry it out with my daughter when she was about 9 months old. so i don't know from personal experience. however a friend of mine has a small tv in her boys room, they watch a movie after storytime and she says they usually only take about 15 mins to pass out. so if your child is the type who would fall asleep watching tv that may work, my daughter will not fall asleep if there is a tv on or any type of noise she can hear so that wouldn't work for her.
    maybe you could try cuddling with her for a certain period of time, say you guys cuddle for 15 mins and after that mommy leaves the room. or after cuddling you sit on the floor by the bed, and move slowly closer to the door each night til you get to the point of sitting outside the door? that might work as well.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 1:05 AM on May. 13, 2009

• i have a small tv for my son i put on blues clues or rugrats etc, less tears from us both lol and i dont care about ppl freaking out about my son watching tv before he falls asleep its better then keeping us both up and him screaming, and what is CIO?
    mysticskies

Answer by mysticskies at 1:46 AM on May. 13, 2009

• CIO = cry it out method
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 2:02 AM on May. 13, 2009

• The boys get their showers, pajamas, half hour of calm down time (watch one of their shows on TV, reading, quiet play, etc) then up to bed, covered up, told good night and lights out.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:20 AM on May. 13, 2009

• Aromatherapy is very helpful. Lavender baby bath from Johnson and Johnson. Then rub down with some Lavender lotion and try soothing massage along with some soft music.
    Onlygodknowswhy

Answer by Onlygodknowswhy at 7:34 AM on May. 13, 2009

• We started moving away from her bed. We sat with her till she fell asleep. Then, we'd tell her we'd be back to check. We came back every few minutes. Then one night, she said night night and rolled over, so dh left. No crying, and she is a great sleeper. A tv is not soothing and causes disruptive sleep. I'd be cautious about that.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 8:00 AM on May. 13, 2009

• routines. we do a lavendar bath and a story. most nights she does well. Some nights I have to put that baby gate up and let her cry it out. She never cries longer than 4-5 minutes. Sometimes, she's just so tired and fighting it there's not much else I can do. Most night's I'll give her a warning by asking "are you ready for bed" then 5 minutes later it's bed time.

Look into the pajamanials. They have some great sleep tips like having your child play, dance, jump around before bed, then bath and claming routine. Just soemthing to use up some energy before doing the bedtime routine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:18 AM on May. 13, 2009

• We never really ran into the problem because we never let them get into the habit of having someone there to fall asleep. We just put them to bed and they go to sleep.
    My best friend used to sleep in the same bed as her dd and she refused to go to sleep unless her mom or gramma laid with her and it took her about 2 hours to fully fall asleep. If they got up before then it started all over and if she woke in the night and found her mom missing (because she was up doing homework) she demanded her mother come back to bed until she was asleep again. This went on until she was SEVEN! She's almost 10 now and finally has her own room but her mom says she still sleeps in her room most nights. She doesn't know how to fall asleep on her own.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:20 AM on May. 13, 2009

• i have triplet 18 mo. olds, and when it's time to go to bed, we just put 'em there. they fall asleep on their own.
    RhiAnnon333

Answer by RhiAnnon333 at 8:33 AM on May. 13, 2009