How do you clean a champagne flute?

I have beautiful champagne flutes from my wedding. They are very tall and skinny. My hubby used one the other day and left a bit of wine in the bottom.. I can't figure out how to clean it. It's too narrow for me to fit a finger down in it. I've tried just taking a dish cloth and sticking it in there, but it doesn't actually get the wine residue up. They are crystal, so I cannot put them in the dish washer. Help please! Any great ideas?

toriandgrace

Asked by toriandgrace at 1:43 AM on May. 13, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Buy one of those bottle brushes! I use those for everything lol. But the same one for just the bottles of course lol.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 1:44 AM on May. 13, 2009

• You can use a bounty paper towel wrapped around a pencil and scrub it with that. How about baking soda and vinegar to break it up?
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 1:48 AM on May. 13, 2009

• Very carefully?
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 1:49 AM on May. 13, 2009

• toothbrush
    angelfor1

Answer by angelfor1 at 2:49 AM on May. 13, 2009

• jessicarae (first pp) gave the same idea I was going to give.
    To help break up any wine that is stuck dry to the bottom you can put some warm water into the glass, add a denture tablet, and let it work. Placing a teaspoon of baking soda into the glass and then adding some plain white vinegar will give you the same result. Just let it sit for awhile to do it's thing.
    Most bottle brushes have a sponge attached to the tip now so it won't be bristles touching the bottom of your glass, and the bristles on the sides aren't rough enough to scratch your glass. Just do a quick clean swipe, rinse, and towel dry right away with a lint-free towel. If you let it air dry then you will end up with water spots.
    Best wishes!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:29 AM on May. 13, 2009

• Thanks girls! I'll get a bottle brush! I left it with dish soap and warm water, it seems to have broken down the residue, so now I just need to wipe it out. Thanks again!
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 10:54 AM on May. 13, 2009