how do I potty train, and get my dog to shut up?

My dog is 9 weeks old, and I want to potty train her but Im not sure how to do it?

Also because she isnt potty trained she is in a kennel at knight and will not shut up to save her life, what can I do about that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:52 AM on May. 13, 2009 in Pets

• Crate training is your best friend. Put her in the crate over night but put something of yours in it, like a t-shirt with your smell on it. That might calm her down; either way, she'll get used to being in the crate over night but make sure you take her outside AS SOON AS you take our out of her crate. Dogs don't want to mess where they sleep, and their crates become their safe-spots, like a den. Keep her on a leash in the house, have her with you at all times, and take her out at least every half hour or hour, for at least ten minutes. Praise her when she goes potty outside, and if you notice she's doing it inside, take her out immediately. You have about ten seconds to correct bad behavior; after that, the dog won't know what you're mad about.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 10:30 AM on May. 13, 2009

• I agree with the post above 100% Don't free fed your pup, this will just cause the pup to go potty all the time. Feed on a schedule, and the pup will potty on a schedule. I put a radio next to my dogs crate, and this helped my dog calm down. Eventually I was able to take the radio away, and my dog didn't bark or whine any more. Crate your dog when you are unable to supervise her (when you are showering, doing the dished . . .)! Take your pup out often and reward her when she goes. Don't get mad at her, or yell when she does have an accident.

bookay

Answer by bookay at 9:26 PM on May. 13, 2009

• We have a 10 week old puppy who was house trained and then she got parvo from our yard and almost died. She spent a few days in the animal hospital and now she's getting back in the swing of things.

What works best for us is potty treats, just like with kids. :) She gets a treat when she goes outside. She works the system, she pees and comes in gets a treat, goes right back outside to poop and gets another treat. :) She's been home almost a week and she's doing great with potty training and she's feeling so much better.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 11:06 PM on May. 13, 2009