When will people learn...

To take MORE caution when they have a gun in their home? I understand people have the right to have a gun in their home. By all means, some people need to (for hunting, self defense, etc). But, please people, keep the gun locked up, the ammo in a separate location also locked up. And most of all TEACH YOUR KIDS GUN SAFETY! I can not stress that enough. My hubby is a weapons instructor in the Air Force. We do not keep guns in our home because we have no need to. However, our kids know you do not ever touch a gun, and if their friends are showing them one, or mention showing them one, they need to tell an adult immediately. It's not hard, educate your kids. Sorry, I've just read two stories in the news just this week that are horrible and it seems to be getting worse and worse.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/44784302.html

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/44739672.html

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 1:59 AM on May. 13, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Even parents that DON'T have a gun in the home should teach their children that if they see someone with a gun to tell an adult immediately. DO NOT touch it (since they don't know how to do so safely),  just get the hell away and tell a responsible ADULT person, RIGHT NOW! This is NOT "snitching" or "tattling", this is a matter of LIFE OR DEATH. Better yet, also teach the child how to properly handle the gun and what a gun can do. Taking the curiosity factor out of anything increases safety and lessens the likelihood of "playing with it". You teach your children not to run with scissors, you taught them how to cross the street safely, you don't let them drive the family car at 10 yrs old, ... teach them firearm safety too, it might save their life.

pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 8:57 AM on May. 13, 2009

• Some people are mindful in this area, but some parents will not take the time to take extra precautions b/c its too much trouble to them, sad to say.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 8:07 AM on May. 13, 2009

• some people need to (for hunting, self defense, etc). But, please people, keep the gun locked up, the ammo in a separate location also locked up.

A gun for self-defense is totally useless if kept locked up with the ammo in a separate place. I can just see it now,"Wait right there, Mister Burgler/rapist. I have to get my gun, unlock it, get the ammo from the garage, and load it. Just wait right there."

TEACH YOUR KIDS GUN SAFETY

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:13 AM on May. 13, 2009

• Not every parent is responsible enough to have kids let alone weapons in the same home.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 8:22 AM on May. 13, 2009

• I grew up with guns in my home - always loaded and out where we could get them if we desired to. Thankfully I was scared of them. I didn't want to handle them. My parents truly believed that they taught us gun safety (which was the line guns don't kill, people kill. And don't touch they are loaded). I know they thought they were being careful. If my mother were posting on this site she would tell about how her home had guns with young children and how it is a matter of good teaching. They were just very lucky. I worry about my child visiting homes, like the one I grew up in, and not being so lucky.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:57 AM on May. 13, 2009

• Well said.

We knew a couple that had their child always keep his hands behind his back if he saw a gun. He was perfectly taught to look, not touch.

Now that he's older, he's learning to properly shoot and keep things safe.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 8:58 AM on May. 13, 2009

• Agree with 8:13 and pagan mama.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 9:36 AM on May. 13, 2009

• paganmama you are absolutely right! Curiosity plays a huge role! I have said repeatedly that I wish the local police department would present gun safety programs to school. A police officer visiting the classroom with his weapon, unloaded of course, would be fabulous. The officer can talk about guns and even let the kids handle the weapon, all in a safe controlled environment. This should be done in early elementary school. The younger kids have a lot of respect for police officers and there is also something "cool" about policeman.

We have guns in our home. I even have one that is very eas for me to get to in the even of an emergency. Our boys are 8 and 10 and they have been taught gun safety since birth. Our oldest will start hunting with his Dad in the next couple of years. We have never had an issue.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:28 AM on May. 13, 2009

• That is so sad.

I remember a news program did an experiment with children and guns. The kids were placed in a room without adult supervision and with toys and a real gun that was hidden or in plain view. All of the parents were surprised that their children who were taught not to touch guns did in fact touch the gun. Ever single child touched it. A few only touched it, while most actually picked it up and played with it! Just teaching them not to touch is not enough.

Children need to be taught how to properly handle a gun. I don't have guns in my house because my children are too young to learn this.

sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 6:42 PM on May. 13, 2009

• The issue is not the gun its the moral decay in this country. Kids are taught to devalue life every time they watch tv. We teach our kids no sense of responsibility and we have an I want it and I want it now nation. The gun is not the problem society is.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:30 PM on May. 13, 2009