Sudden Onset High Fever

My 5 year old son just came into my room an hour ago...shivering. I thought, "great, he's got the chills!" After hearing him for a few minutes and feeling his hot body next to mine, I decided to see the temp. He had 104. I knew I have to call in today. Well, I went to get his meds and take his temp again. He had 105.2! I got him up, and he was responsive. He took a luke warm bath and was throwing up a little. After I got him out, he had 104 again. He's on the couch with a cold rag. His body seems to be feeling better. We all have had a nasty cold the past couple of days (coughing and runny noses,) even myself. But no one ever ran fever. I am thinking his immune system was so repressed, he picked up something at school. I am going to keep him home and monitor his temp before rushing off to the doc and them tell me it's a virus and there's nothing we can do. But even after being a mom of 3, this scared me. Can anyone relate?

KGImama

Asked by KGImama at 2:14 AM on May. 13, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• If you aren't able to keep it down, he NEEDS to go into the doctor (yes even the ER) ASAP. He is not an infant anymore, and that high of a fever is NOT safe.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:17 AM on May. 13, 2009

• prayers
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 2:19 AM on May. 13, 2009

• Where are you located? Those are the exact symptoms of the swine AND regular flu. If you take him in they will check for infections and probably give him an antiviral. I recommend calling your doctor first for permission then going in to the ER.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:25 AM on May. 13, 2009

• i would take him to the er asap that sounds jusl like the swine flu my area got hit really hard with it and i would be terrified if my son had a fever that high please go to the hospital i will be praying for him
    ilovemyboys21

Answer by ilovemyboys21 at 2:37 AM on May. 13, 2009

• Alternate Tyenol and Motrin every 2 hours till the fever is below 102. My son gets spiking fevers so I can totally empathize. We have a steady supply of tylenol and motrin now. I am sure you know this but at 105 degrees the brain starts to cook.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 3:09 PM on May. 13, 2009

• i would take him to the docs anyways rather be safe then sorry 104 or 105 is bad for an adult let alone a child.
    Anonymous

• Take him to the ER, a sudden onset high fever is not normal. It can cause seizures or more. Always safe than sorry.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:41 PM on May. 13, 2009