Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has anyone ever taken their ex to small claims court over past due child support payments? Arrears basically

(Please read everything before answering)

I was wondering if you can take and ex to small claims court over arrears.

My ex keeps quitting his job to avoid payments - he paid 1 month, none for 6 months, paid 6 months, then none for 6 weeks, paid 2 1/2 months, skipped 6 weeks, paid 2 1/2 months and now it has been 2 months and he hasn't paid. This is with a child support order. So, I was wanting to take him to small claims court. He will owe about $2,400 in 2 weeks. in I want to know if you did wind up doing that with your ex and if it was successful.

Please let me know if so, I am worried about spending the money to take him and small claims kicking it out. I barely can support my daughter right now as it is.
Thank you for your time.

PS. I do get a small amount added to payments If I get paid, for the arrears - But it is tiny because he takes min wage jobs to avoid paying us higher amounts. I need our money now

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:18 AM on May. 13, 2009 in Money & Work

Answers (4)
  • I have not ever tried small claims court. I have a judgement out from a child support enforcement case in AZ in amt of over $25,000 - for one child. I have not ever had a great deal of their help, as it seems if not on any state assistance, they are not too interested in helping you actively. I actually had a lawyer tell me I would collect more of my back child support if I were on welfare. I am interested to know if you have any sucess- keep us updated as I am sure you are not alone. Good luck

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:23 AM on May. 13, 2009

  • Contact your local child support office. They are regulated by the state you reside in to follow your case. If you have already done this then write a letter to your state child support office,senator,governor include all your info on this and you should get a response. I done this and they nailed my childs father, it made them look bad when the state started asking questions

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:36 AM on May. 13, 2009

  • I would'nt pay the moneey. I would go back to the judge who ordered him to pay the child support, The laws in my state are crazy and you will pay your child support order or else. GL

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:26 AM on May. 13, 2009

  • States have a child support enforcement mechanism. Contact the child support office.

    Answer by rkoloms at 4:32 AM on May. 13, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.