Why do all Christian charitable foundations have "Christian" in the title? Adoption Agencies?

Matthew 6:1-4 1 “Take heed that you do not do your charitable deeds before men, to be seen by them. Otherwise you have no reward from your Father in heaven. 2 Therefore, when you do a charitable deed, do not sound a trumpet before you as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory from men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. 3 But when you do a charitable deed, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4 that your charitable deed may be in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will Himself reward you openly.[a]

How is proclaiming your Christianity not violating this? I keep hearing "I don't see any secular organizations giving to charity!" but has it ever occurred to you that we just don't PROCLAIM "We're atheists, and we're helping people!" Why do Christian foundations feel the need to do this?

nobakecheezcake

Asked by nobakecheezcake at 6:59 AM on May. 13, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I always find it helpful- that way I know what to avoid...
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 7:10 AM on May. 13, 2009

• This is an odd ?. Who cares? If one needs help, they get it where they can. If some one really wants to help, they give it where they can. Really, why are you so deep w/ this? Yours is a scary opinion, are you trying to make Christians have to hide?
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 8:55 AM on May. 13, 2009

• i'm sure its just a way of identifying themselves..no harm, no foul. as far as adoption agencies to, its probably also for letting people know that they have counseling/adoption services that are in line with what they prefer..meaning, they will pray, counsel in christ-like fashion...blahblah..who really cares though? as long as the deed is getting done for the good of the benefactor?
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 9:05 AM on May. 13, 2009

• i mean 'beneficiary'..not quite awake yet.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 9:06 AM on May. 13, 2009

• Consider that those who give to it can still do so in anononimity.

Having the charity named can help the anonymous giver choose where to place their resources.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 9:14 AM on May. 13, 2009

• I think part of it is so that they can choose who to benefit, If they just called themselves a charity or an adoption agency, people would assume they were public and could scream discrimination, If they are labeled as private and belonging to a church, they don't have to take clients they don't wish to use their services. A private adoption agency run by a church doesn't HAVE to give a child to a gay couple, for instance.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 9:20 AM on May. 13, 2009

So they use the label JUST so that they can discriminate. Nice. Quite Ironic, and oxymoronic, since EVERYONE is supposed to be equal in God's eyes, no?
    nobakecheezcake

Answer by nobakecheezcake at 9:32 AM on May. 13, 2009

According to the bible, you should not assert that "I'm a Christian, and I'm helping the needy!"

Your book, your guidelines, not mine. My question pertains to hypocrisy, and you didn't answer it.

nobakecheezcake

Answer by nobakecheezcake at 9:34 AM on May. 13, 2009

• I have definitely thought upon it in the past. Scary how some people just aren't getting what you are saying. I've always HATED when an organization that is meant to help people "with no strings attached" turns around as soon as they hand you something they start preaching to you. It is kind of like those sales pitches they give to reel you in to buying in to time shares. They pull you in with a free boat ride, or free tour guide in say a city like New Orleans. But then they make you sit in a building listening to people sell you their line that "must be decided today...the deal is just too good to wait. If you do not act now you may never get this great chance...here just give us your money and sign all these forms and you have now bought yourself a week of vacation and three times the cost." And all because you wanted a free boat ride down the Mississippi river.
    SandraRh

Answer by SandraRh at 10:14 AM on May. 13, 2009

• i think it has to do w/ ppl wanting only to give to a Christian charity & so that ppl know what they are getting into when they receive the charity (ie preaching).

it could also be that the organization needed to name them something that hadnt been taken yet so they added Christian to it, b/c thats what they are.

but most charities in my neighborhood are out of churches & dont have Christian in the name...
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 1:02 PM on May. 13, 2009