10 year old going to summer camp for first time

My son will be attending a church summer camp for the first time this summer. He will be gone for 6 days and 5 nights. He has a friend that is scheduled to go with him. He is nervous but excited. The other young man's mom is extremely worried and she is beginning to pass her fears off on her son. My family and our Pastor visited the camp on their Open House. Our Pastor's children have been there many times and he is familiar with the camp. What bothers me is that there is no contact with the children for the whole week. I understand why the rule is there, but I am also on our Child Protection Committee and have learned too many disturbing facts. I don't want to sound like an over protective mother, but I am. I do trust the rebutation of this camp. Do any of you have any camp advise for a soon to be new camp mom? I would love your comments and experiences.

cchawk440

Asked by cchawk440 at 7:13 AM on May. 13, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• First, don't worry! My daughter LOVES overnight camp and goes for four weeks. She is 13, this is her third year going this long; for two years before she went for two weeks.
    Other than the rare letter, the camp makes the kids send a postcard the first morning and at the end of the second week.
    They keep the kids so busy, they are just too tired to get homesick.
    Honesly, we love the break from parenting, too.
    Feel free to contact me directly with any questions.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:38 AM on May. 13, 2009

• I am a seasoned mom of over night campers. The first thing to remember is that you are giving your child a first hand look at what life really is like away from home.These are wonderful lessons most parents are too afraid or unable to give thier kids. I went to camp as a child and vowed that when I had children, they would also get the chance at going to sleepaway camp. Both of my kiddos are type one Diabetic and both go to sleepaway camp every summer since they were 8 years old. They are now 13 and 12 respectively, they always make plans with thier friends from previous years to go to the same sessions. They have a blast and it shows in the pictures they take and the letters they write. Look at it this way, as parents we are always on call 24/7, this is a way to kick back and relax, take a deep breath and before you know it your child will be back in your arms and you can let it all out again. lol Camp is fun for children.
    BooBear666

Answer by BooBear666 at 8:46 AM on May. 13, 2009

• yeah I loved it too. My bf and I snuck away & stayed in the cabin alone while others were away and we made out all day. I miss those days!
    Anonymous