Defense Secretary Robert Gates places GAG Order on top military officials. Is the Whitehouse trying to Politicize the Pentagon? Is this Accountability and Transparency?

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - For more than a decade, lawmakers have asked the heads of the Army, Navy and Air Force plus top force commanders to send them the services' customary wish lists for programs that they deem necessary but which did not make it into the spending plan.
Gates, in an April 30 memo obtained by Reuters, said existing statutes provide for the Joint Chiefs of Staff to make such recommendations to Congress "after first informing the Secretary of Defense."
"Accordingly, should you determine there are FY 2010 unfunded requirements that are responsive to the request from Congress, I expect you to inform me of such a determination so we can schedule the opportunity for you to brief me on the details," he wrote.
Top Republicans on the House of Representatives' Armed Service Committee already have criticized Gates, a former director of central intelligence, over secrecy in the budget process.
(cont'd)

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 7:32 AM on May. 13, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• (cont'd)

"Congress is mandated by the Constitution to raise and support armies and navies, including funding the budget for our defense," lawmakers said in a letter spearheaded by Randy Forbes of Virginia, the top Republican on the readiness subcommittee.
    "To do this, it requires accountability and transparency," Forbes said, slamming a non-disclosure agreement that Gates required Pentagon officials to sign at the start of the budget process.
    "By instituting a gag order on senior defense officials, the administration is essentially preventing members of Congress from asking the questions necessary to ensure our soldiers are equipped to do their jobs, and is prohibiting media and public awareness on important defense issues," said Forbes.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/GCA-Economy/idUSTRE5464YA20090507

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:33 AM on May. 13, 2009

• This Quote from (I believe Randy Forbes [R-VA] states it best:

"Members of Congress deserve candid answers from senior military officers that are not suppressed or censored -- either directly, or implicitly via culture of regulations that muzzle their independent professional judgment."

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:36 AM on May. 13, 2009

• Grly, i really missed your accountability posts. My answer, I don't think we will get accountability or transparency from this administration at all. I will also include that I don't think we have ever gotten it. It was a silly 'promise' to make and one that quickly went by the wayside. He knew he couldn't keep this promise. I guess they just have to try to keep changing the definition of accountability and transparency until the masses leave them alone.

Oh, but they are ALL ABOUT Accountability for the Bush administration. The constant words of moving forward, all while constantly looking backward. I don't know about you, but if I am not looking where I am going I run into all sorts of crap.

And that . .is my opinion.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:08 AM on May. 13, 2009

• Does this have anything to do with congress approving war funding for Obama that they never approved for Bush? If top officials have a gag order and can't testify to the needs of our military then the funding won't go through. Then Obama can throw his hands up and say "I tried, guys. I really did." and the whole thing goes away. If that's what it is, then that is very deceptive and it makes me angry.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:12 AM on May. 13, 2009

• And I've said since October
    Stop listening to Obama, and start watching what he does.
    Then ask yourself, WHY would this be important to the point that it comes to this for only THIS administration? What would be the ultimate outcome of the gag order?
    It's pretty simple if you think about it for awhile.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 8:17 AM on May. 13, 2009

• I agree Quinn! Grly, so nice having you back! Hope all is well!!!

I am certain the Obama Administration is going to be known for it's constant CHANGING of the rules as it suits them--it is after all Amateur Hour in the White House!!! THAT is definitely something we can believe in! LOL

As a side note....wasn't it just a couple of weeks ago that Pelosi EMPHATICALLY and CATEGORICALLY denied she knew anything about the details of Waterboarding?! Well, today it was revealed (at least became public) that back in 2003 SHE KNEW ALL ABOUT IT!!! D'oh! LOL :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:19 AM on May. 13, 2009

• Quinn, Akin. You girls Rock. And Quinn I missed all you gals. You know me. I loves me som Accountability! (Spoken like Sam from I-Carly as it is the #1 show in the Grly household):o) What gets me is that Democrats on the Hill are obvious about their deceit, their lies, and their coverups and people still follow them sheepishly. Makes me seriously question the minds of many voters.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:23 AM on May. 13, 2009

• Yup Lorikeet. Another Dem deceit caught in the thick of it. When I think of Democrats, I think of slimey used car salesmen. Anyone else?
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:25 AM on May. 13, 2009

• Yep! Liberal politicians put the "RAT" in DemocRAT!!! LOL :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:31 AM on May. 13, 2009

• Funny. When I think of Democrats the first one's that come to mind are Obama, Pelosi, Reid, Frank & Dodd. And in that case, I think slimy used car salesmen classification is being sort of generous.  Maybe more like traveling snake oils salespeople.  Trying to sell us things that are supposed to fix it all, then after they blow town you find out that all of your money has been wasted and nothing works.  Actually, that's the case w/ GM.  I am sure other's, but I have to get DS ready for school. 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:32 AM on May. 13, 2009