8 hr road trip with 2 yr old: help! how to prepare?

We are taking a road trip to my husbands family 8 hrs away. We plan to leave @ 4 am so that my son is sleeping most of the trip, but I still need some m0mmy tips and tricks to making the ride smooth. Any great travel toys, tips/tricks... etc.

Thanks!
Rebecca

DIETITIANMAMA

Asked by DIETITIANMAMA at 9:02 AM on May. 13, 2009 in Travel

• When we went on a trip w/ our dtr, we took puzzles, cameras (disposable real ones-she took her own pics), all kinds of toys and I sat in the back w/ her. I taught her her colors w/ m and m's. If she told me the color, she got the candy. SOmetimes I gave it to her anyway. We just had FUN. Oh and we had frequent stops to stretch and what not. GL.

P.S. She is 11 and I still have the pics she took when she was 2. There are lots of the back of her daddy's head, LOL.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 9:06 AM on May. 13, 2009

• My son is 13 months and were going 8 hours away over memorial day. We're driving over night. We're leaving right around 6 or 7 and get there around 2-3. He won't fall asleep until 9ish but he doesn't have problems driving a few horus in the car. So I figure around 830-9 we'll stop somewhere, eat change him and go back for the rest of the ride :)
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 9:29 AM on May. 13, 2009

• I took at 12 hr trip (not including stops) with at 13 month old about 2 months ago. I made sure my daughters car seat was clean, i made sure i had a whole diaper bag of toys. And plenty of sippy cups right next to her. We put in a portable DVD player, and let her watch Dora and stuff. I had tons of snacks, And if and when it got real bad... i went to the dollar tree and got some cheap toys and wrapped them like gifts. I then handed her one for a crisis. It would keep her amused for another hour or so. Its tough, just remember to take frequant stops.
    mommyofAurora

Answer by mommyofAurora at 9:49 AM on May. 13, 2009

• Make sure you bring lots of toys and snacks, a dvd player is great if you have one, I have only used one once and it was better for the older kids my 2 year old didn't pay alot of attention to it. If there is no one else in the back seat with him I would plan on sitting in the back with him while he is awake at least part of the time. Make sure you stop often and let him stretch his legs, we stop at play grounds or park areas when possible. Also I would take a light weight blanket in case he decides he cold when he is trying to sleep. I go to the dollar store and buy anything that lights up or makes noise for when mine get antsy in the back. Just try to make it fun for him while he is awake. Good luck
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 11:23 AM on May. 13, 2009

• I recorded her LP collection onto cassettes and gave her books on cassette. She lost track of time with this one. These were childrens books on records. Real records. Coloring books and toys to play with. Otherwise, ours was a great companion. Make sure you have clear juice and clean snacks to boot.
    jns131

Answer by jns131 at 7:29 PM on May. 13, 2009