How do I get my son to stop hitting???

My son is 18 months old and has suddenly acquired an attitude. He hits when he is mad, not getting his way and so on. I have tried everything I know to get him to stop. Not only does it not work, the hitting has been getting worse. Just a few minutes ago, I'm changing his diaper and he slaps me on the arm. No, it does not hurt but still, I am trying to get him to stop. I tell him 'no that hurts don't hit.' I pick him up and he slapped me on the face with both hands. This time, it hurt. Now I feel like a horrid mom because I put him to bed and he is screaming for me to get him. I know that he has to learn, but I am learning too and I don't know what else to do. I know all moms have these moments of tears and all, but this is horrible. I don't want to give in because then he isn't going to learn that hitting is bad so I need some advice. HELP!!!

Mrsmhill

Asked by Mrsmhill at 9:27 AM on May. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• get down to his level and hold his hands and look him in the eyes and tell him no we do not hit and just keep doing it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:34 AM on May. 13, 2009

• agree with the above and sound stern or like you mean it. dont laugh or giggle or even smile. good luck its an on going battle.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 9:40 AM on May. 13, 2009

• I first started teaching Anjali gentle when she was about 7-9 months old. She would hit and I would take her hand and rub my arm and say gentle. Then when she became a toddler she did it when mad. We did 1 minute time out (1 minute per year) and showered affection on those she hurt. Pick something and stick with it.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 10:24 AM on May. 13, 2009