All Faith Discussion - Something I've been pondering . . .

A lot of Christians go to the OT to explain their beliefs on why something should or should not be done. For example, homosexuality, manner of dress, etc. However, it seems that they like to pick and chose which "rules" fit their needs, and ignore the others. For example - discriminating against gays, yet eating pork. Having to wear long hair and long skirts, yet having sex during their period. Why is this?

Christians: Do you think the OT is anything other than sacred historical text? Do you follow all the rules, or the ones you've picked, or do you follow the teachings of Jesus instead?

Jews: Are there any OT laws that you no longer follow? Why/why not?

Muslims: Do you use the OT for laws of Islam as well? Do you follow all of them, or only some?

All other faiths: What are your thoughts? Do you think it should be "all or nothing" for the OT, or are you OK with Christians only following NT laws?

jennijune_21

Asked by jennijune_21 at 9:45 AM on May. 13, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I can only answer as someone who holds no religious beliefs. I am perfectly fine with anyone picking and choosing as they see fit and forming a belief system and practice that fits them. What I am not okay with is when anyone tries to push those beliefs or practices on other people, whether it be straight from some holy book or made up directly from their own minds. Example- homosexuality. If you are against it, don't practice it. But leave others who do alone to live their own lives.
    mandaday

Answer by mandaday at 9:53 AM on May. 13, 2009

• I think it's fine if people choose what feels right to them, provided that's where it ends. Use whichever book you want to live by and justify your own decisions. Do not apply them to others. People don't even use the same versions of the bible, let alone deciding on which general rules to apply. It's like the distinction: thou shall not kill vs thou shall not murder. One little word is the difference between a Quaker and a military Christian.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:09 AM on May. 13, 2009

• I'm a Christian. I follow the teachings of the NT...but that doesn't mean I think the OT is obsolete. There is still much to be learned from it. Homosexuality is mentioned in the NT.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:34 AM on May. 13, 2009

• This is my own personal belief, but I feel that many of the laws in the OT go against Christ's teachings in regards to love, understanding, and compassion towards our fellow man. And some of them are simply mores of the times. At the end of the day, I go by what Jesus taught and try to live my life accordingly.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 10:34 AM on May. 13, 2009

• I agree with Kelley.
    I also believe that a lot of the laws/rules in the OT were moreso to distinguish Jews from nonJews, and not really something that was "sin" related. They had things that were religiously or ritually "rite", but that didn't mean it was wrong or sinful to go against them.
    As well, I don't believe that people really understand the context/history/translation/meaning of what they read in the Bible. We have to understand why the rules or laws were made to begin with, what purpose they served, and how (if at all) they are relevant today.
    We also have to look at words and their meanings, what we translated them from, and what the text really means, instead of just saying "homosexual" when that word didn't even exist back then. (this goes in other cases as well)
    I think many people don't understand the Bible nearly as well as they think they do...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:13 AM on May. 13, 2009

• I do not think that the question is correct regards to Christians because there are many laws r rules in the OT that no one follows today.... I mean back in those days it was ok to have slaves, well that does not apply today. There is a huge difference between the laws and rules verses the Ten Commandments which you didn't really mention... And for many christians that believe in Jesus and his dying on the cross, had created a new law, Love Thy Neighbor - simply changing the law to love all including yourself and do good, and avoid evil. To determine what is evil is not really adjusting right from wrong according to faith, I think some go a little extreme, and those that do not like or believe in sins find that some christian are extreme... See even before I was christian, I really didn't care too much that much of the songs and what not have swear words in them. I think much of today is trash and we could do without.
    TheFriskyKitty

Answer by TheFriskyKitty at 11:14 AM on May. 13, 2009

• It is not my personal faith, but I am fine with anyone following whatever rules they deem spiritually appropriate. What I am not for is imposing those on someone who doesn't share them... and that includes my own beliefs and precepts. I choose to uphold them, it is not my place to force them on others.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:22 AM on May. 13, 2009

• What they believe in the privacy of their own thoughts and place of worship is their business, but when they try to impose these views on everyone else then they are crossing the line and infringing on the rights of others.  That is just not acceptable!

beeky

Answer by beeky at 12:51 PM on May. 13, 2009

• The lack of "knowing" what to follow and what not too, and how many use those 'rules' to control and discriminate against other people; is a large reason why I'm Agnostic!
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 12:55 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Wow jennijune! You have made a great point! One I myself have thought about. You are right. We should follow all of God's laws not just one we pick and choose. As far as me personally. I'm working on it. The pork thing you got me there.I do my best not to do the sex one, but I have in the past.( Not if I can help it,but the bible also says that you should not deny your husband your body unless it is a mutual thing in the NT.)As far as the skirts thing goes...that one is tricky. Only because woman's clothes today has changed so much since that time. If it is made for women then would we not be allowed to wear it?Long hair? I believe I have also read that unless it is against the law to cut it we can. If you found a place where it says we HAVE to have long hair please tell me where to find it. I do not dye my hair any longer. Not for religious reason's at first. I just had gotten tired of having to re-dye it every month.
    mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 1:17 PM on May. 13, 2009