using pacifier for my baby

hi, i let my two mos. old son use pacifier, especially if he doesn't stop crying or is it called colic? i read from a book that it helps to stop him from crying and it really helps. bu my sister i law said, its not good for the bby to use pacifier. how true is it? and i think its not really that bad if i let him use one, right? for how long can should i stop him from using one?
thanks

mommylei1202

Asked by mommylei1202 at 9:56 AM on May. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it is fine for him to suck on a pacifier. my son did it until he was 2.(way too long to be on one let me tell you), however, if you can get him off the pacifier by the time he is 10months-1year then you will be doing good. if it is soothing him tell your sister in law to mind her own business and raise her own kids. there is nothing wrong with a pacifier.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 9:59 AM on May. 13, 2009

• Actually, my midwife AND pediatrition asked if I was using a pacifier, because they said it's been proven to help stop SIDS, which to me was more important than what any of my family or anyone else thinks about it. My daughter is now 13 months old, and she still uses one, specifically because she's very small (still wears 6-9 month clothes). I think it really should be up to you as the parent and no one else, because I believe that you inately know what is best for your own child.
    rstov_03

Answer by rstov_03 at 10:02 AM on May. 13, 2009

• yea, whn i brouhgt my dauhgter home the dr actually recommended that i put her to sleep w/ a pacifier. im not sure but i think th instict to suck reminds thm thm 2 breath
    StarrCooKie

Answer by StarrCooKie at 10:05 AM on May. 13, 2009

• http://www.nypartnersinoralhealth.com/tableofcontents/nutritive_sucking.html
    You need to go to this site and read it.
    All babies have a non-nutritive sucking need until age 18 months at least. It is very good for kids to use a pacifier. And doctors ok it until between age 2-3. Continue to use it please and don't listen to anything she says. She is not a doctor or expert. You research it and let her know that you are in the right and your baby will be better for it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:07 AM on May. 13, 2009

• I think pacifiers are great especially if you are bottle feeding. Because babies don't get to suck as long as at the bottle like they do at the breast (takes hard work to nurse) and so their sucking NEED is not met. Pacifiers then come in handy. New research also suggests that it lowers the risk of SIDS.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 10:07 AM on May. 13, 2009

• I like pacifiers. Im going to use them when my little one comes in a few months but to me when they are getting close to 1 they shouldnt have one anymore. I had one till i was 3 and my parents think that because i had it so long thats why i sucked on my thumb. I dont know if thats true but this is just how i feel.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 10:35 AM on May. 13, 2009

• Shelli, if a kid wants to suck on their thumb they will. It has nothing to do with a pacifier. Some kids like thumbs and some like pacifiers. Just remember that you can throw the pacifier away...it's generally frowned upon if you throw away the thumb. LOL.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 11:04 AM on May. 13, 2009

• Doctors recommend between age 2 and 3 to get rid of it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:27 AM on May. 13, 2009

• I let my son use one. We held off for the first 3wks b/c I was BF'ing and was scared to death of nipple confusion. Anyway, he's 5 1/2 months now, and gets in on occasion. Mostly when he's cranky and I need to fix him a bottle or something. He gets in on occasion to nap and go to bed...but usually during the day he's not too interested.
    There really isn't a "right" time for every baby to take the paci away. I want my son to be done having one the very LATEST by 12-14months. I'll try taking it by 10-12months though...and if it's harder than I think...maybe it'll take a little longer.
    carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 11:43 AM on May. 13, 2009