Do you think that a woman.....

with one, or more children on any kind of public assistance, but most importantly one's who receive housing assistance, food assistance, and child care assistance should also be provided birth control? I feel that if you are receiving assistance and are continuing to produce more children that the state should do something. Whether it's to provide birth control, or stop or limit the assistance because they keep having babies, or just provide more education and help these women get on their feet and provide for their children on their own. I do not think it's fair that there are women out there that have babies, don't work, and have a roof over their head, food on the table, and a nice car to drive. If you're gonna struggle then struggle. I do not think children should be brought into a family that can not provide for them. I understand everyone needs help now and then. What do you ladies think??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on May. 13, 2009 in Money & Work

• I heard here in Oklahoma they are trying to pass something..That all people on PA would have to take a drug test..About birth control,,,they should only give them PA for the children the initially got PA for.. If  they have more they shouldn't get more PA for it.

Answer by louise2 at 10:08 AM on May. 13, 2009

• You could provide them with birth control but that does not mean they will take it, the only option cutting their assistance with some that might work but still you have the ones that think something is owed to them and they would continue to pop kids out no matter what.
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 10:08 AM on May. 13, 2009

• As far as I know, there are family planning clinics in most states, that do provide free or low cost birth control such as pills, depo, etc. It's up to the individual woman if they want to take advantage of those services, no one can force them to. I understand what your point is though, and I agree. I have one child because, while we do live comfortably, I want to give my child the best of everything. At this point in our lives having more kids would be really stretching our budget. I'd much rather be financially comfortable and be able to provide my child with all I can, than to keep popping out kids and spreading our money too thin. Some people just don't think that way though...........
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on May. 13, 2009

• Anon 9:08 I agree with you 100%!
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 10:13 AM on May. 13, 2009

• No matter what is offered to help any given woman, there are MORE out there that could care less. There are some people that have babies JUST to be on GOVERNMENT assiatance!! Some people feel that the government OWES it to them for whatever reason. If people would take a look at the WHOLE picture they would soon realize that it is the GOVERNMENT taking care of their children and NOT the mother or father. I personaly am NOT on government assistance and am very THANKFUL that I am not. At one point in time I was on the gov assistance and was very thankful for it. I also have two children. My hubby and I work and we pay for insurance, food and whatever else we need. Having more children is NOT on my plate in the near future.

SweetKYmom

Answer by SweetKYmom at 10:17 AM on May. 13, 2009

• as anon 10:08 pointed out, there are ways to get low cost or free birth control already. But you can't force someone to take them.... It seems like what you are suggesting is mandatory birth control. That would have to be monitored by *someone* to make sure that it is being used effectively. Who will pay for that?? The easiest and most cost effective way to get what you are suggesting, would be mandatory sterilization. But, if you hit a financial bump in the road and need temporary assistance, would you be willing to give up your future children for a check or two to get you through?

I understand what your point is and I partially agree..... But.... This is such a loaded topic...

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 10:24 AM on May. 13, 2009

• I agree with lapcounter that you can provide them with birth control but that doesn't guarantee that they will use it. I don't know what it's like being on PA now but 11 years ago when I was getting medical assistance I was provided free birth control and you better believe I used it too but I know not everyone would. If you qualify for public assistance and you really want birth control there are options available that are either free or affordable.
    The problem is the mindset of those who do feel the world owes them something and live on PA just because they can. From what I've seen, these individuals generally come from parents who raised them with the same mindset. To break the cycle you have to break the vision that life is one big handout. If someone is on PA for 1 year and opts not to work to help pay for the assistance they receive I think they should be required to perform a set number of community service hours
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 10:44 AM on May. 13, 2009

• cont'd
    in order to keep their assistance and if they do not meet their required hours then their PA is suspended for 30 days or until the hours have been performed. The only exception would be medical assistance. Kids need medical care period.
    I say one year because with today’s economy I know there are a lot of people who never envisioned they’d find themselves on PA needing the help when they never have before. I think everyone deserves at least a year to find a replacement job.
    sillyt

• OP here: I completely agree sillyt. But I'm only saying for the mothers that continue to have kids with no job and on P.A. I understand that most people need help one way or another. I've been there. I've never received housing assistance or food stamps, but I've had medicaid and WIC. Those things help us out a lot. Now we don't need those things so we no long use them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on May. 13, 2009