My doctor says I'm 2cm dilated and a -2. What does -2 mean?

I am 39 weeks pregnant, and I went to see my doctor and he said I am 2cm dilated. Which makes sense to me. Then he said I am "negative 2". I have no idea what he meant and didn't get a chance to ask him while I was there. Does anyone know where this "-" number comes from, or what it means???

TashaLee

Asked by TashaLee at 9:59 AM on May. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• The station is how far baby has moved down into your pelvis. 0 station is head right down into the pelvis, and negative stations are the number of centimeters above that. So a -2 station means baby is 2 centimeters above the lowest position in your pelvis. With a positive station the head has started to come out and down out of the pelvis and into the birth canal. Does that make sense?
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 10:04 AM on May. 13, 2009

• Actually, that makes perfect sense. Thank you. Also, how many negative cm's are there and how many from 0 station to birth?
    TashaLee

Answer by TashaLee at 10:09 AM on May. 13, 2009

• just 2 i believe
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 10:15 AM on May. 13, 2009

• sorry its 5
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 10:16 AM on May. 13, 2009

• but it doesn't mean you are going to hit every number at the end. If you are at -2 now then your baby is moving it's way to the birth canal and could be in the next few days or weeks labor would begin. when are you due?
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 10:17 AM on May. 13, 2009

• never mind i read the question you are 39 weeks.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

• Ok, thank you. I was just wondering because he had never said anything about this before and I never heard any of my doctor's say it while I was pregnant with my other two daughters.
    TashaLee

Answer by TashaLee at 10:19 AM on May. 13, 2009

• It is just a measurement of how far down or up the head is in relationship to the ischial spines (these are bones of the pelvis).. A baby with a head exactly level with the spines is at 0 stations. Above the spines is negative, below is positive. TEchnically, most docs measure it in terms of 5. + 5 cm, the head is crowned through the vaginal opening.
    jen1350

Answer by jen1350 at 6:07 AM on May. 14, 2009