What should be done with sex offenders?

I know this is a touchy subject with most woman. But, I notice that alot of laws that are designed to protect children are also starting to infringe on the constitutional rights of the offenders. Here in Indiana, any person convicted of a sex crime of ANY KIND has to register as a sex offender (ranging from those who rape to those who were caught at night in the park with their pants down).
Now, the way I see it, there should be different categories as far as sex offenders go. I know a guy who was charged with sexual misconduct with a minor and he now has to register as a sex offender. He was 19 and his girlfriend was 17 and her parents didn't like it. Now, is it fair for him to have to stay 100 feet away from a school or any area where children could possibly be? That's what I mean about the different categories. There are sex offenders and then violent sex offenders and thenchild predators. And each group is different. con

spiritguide_23

Asked by spiritguide_23 at 10:25 AM on May. 13, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• And, depending on the violence of the crime, they should all be made to register. However, I do not feel that a guy who is 19 and has a 17 year old girlfriend should be made to register. He didn't force her. She chose to sleep with him.
    -Ashley
    And don't even get me started on the girls in cases like that!
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 10:26 AM on May. 13, 2009

• I think if they are truly a sexual offender. If they actually molested or raped someone against their will.. they should have their penis cut off. They won't be able to rape someone again will they? Now something like what you described I don't think is fair. Those parents should be ashamed of themselves to have disturbed that mans life so bad. I don't think he should have been charged with anything.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 10:28 AM on May. 13, 2009

• I agree totally.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 10:29 AM on May. 13, 2009

• I agree as far as those who are caught peeing behind a garbage can or some such stupid thing. BUT if there is ANY sexual activity involved, then it is completely right that the offender suffer the consequences of not using his brain (referring specifically to statutory rape here). You molest a child... go to jail and pay for the rest of your life by being restricted as to where you are able to go once you get out (course I don't think they should ever get out). Violent rape, same as child molesters. Rape, same as child molesters. Stat rape, same as child molesters. If the person is over the age of 18 they should be old enough to use the brain God gave them and keep their hands OFF someone under the age of 18. If he can't, he never respected the girl to begin with to wait until she was more mature and he deserves the punishment handed down to him and the lifelong consequences.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on May. 13, 2009

• I think there should be levels of punishment depending on a crime. Linking an 18 year old senior in high school who slept with his 16 year old girlfriend on prom night to a child predator or a serial rapist is completely asinine.
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 10:41 AM on May. 13, 2009

• Yeah my boyfreind worked at a club as a DJ and if anything in proper happened (ie one of the minors got in on a fake ID and tried to flash the bar) everyone that worked aat the bar would get arrested, and it was catorgized as a sex crime. (yes they should stop minors from coming in, but some of those fakes are really good and even cops can't tell the diffrence sometimes) Thankfully none of it stuck, but if it had he would have to be registered because of what a 16 year old girl did that he may or may not have even seen. So yes there should be catagories. As far as a 19 year old with a 17 year old gf that is horrible. In most states he would not have been able to be arrested because it is not statutory if they are with in so many years of each other.
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 10:55 AM on May. 13, 2009

• May in your eyes it doesn't seem fair as his "sins" may not be as "bad" as another sin, but the point is, he knew the law, he broke the law, therefore he CHOSE to break the law after knowing the law and took that chance, that risk.... Not only did he break the law, but he also knew the consequences that comes with breaking the law, and if he didn't then he should have contacted a lawyer to find out what the consequences were for breaking the law. Maybe the punishment seems harsh, but if you do not like the punishment given based on a crime or law broken, then DON'T BREAK THE LAW.
    TheFriskyKitty

Answer by TheFriskyKitty at 10:59 AM on May. 13, 2009

• TheFriskyKitty, I think that the point is that even if statutory rape is a crime, those who commit it shouldn't be treated in the same manner as say a 35 year old pedophile who molested a child.

KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 11:06 AM on May. 13, 2009

• I do agree - many things that sex offenders go through infringe on their rights, and there do need to be distinctions between someone who was stupid and got caught with his pants down or got caught with his girlfriend, and those who violently raped someone or molested a child. The term sex offender is a broad one, yet the reaction to the term is always the same - disgust, disdain, and anger. We group them all together when they aren't all on the same level, and that's wrong. Plus, these people have paid their debt, they have been released from prison, they should be able to live their lives - have a home without being harassed, go to church, etc. I understand them not being allowed to be near schools or parks - IF their individual case was child related - or whatever precautions go along with their specific crime, but to treat them all so badly just isn't right.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:08 AM on May. 13, 2009

• I know no one's going to agree with this, but it works in other places just fine. In Norway the highest prison sentence you can get for ANYTHING including murder is 21 years. And instead of the prison system being set up to harden the people and make them MORE angry and resentful, the prisons are set up to rehabilitate them. Because of this (and other factors) Norway has the lowest crime rate.

To do this in the US, however, we'd have to drastically change the prison system, and I think that wold be impossible at this point. Also, we'd have to not have a majority religion which is obsessed with punishment...which also won't happen anytime soon. Norway is predominantly atheist/agnostic.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 11:10 AM on May. 13, 2009