Childcare costs

Hi ladies,
I'm a certified, experienced elementary school teacher, with clearances and CPR & first aid certification. I'm now a SAHM and am looking to take one or two children into my home, part-time, to supplement our income. I live in a medium-high income area in PA. What do you think is a reasonable rate to charge per child?

divakristi

Asked by divakristi at 10:33 AM on May. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• If I were you I'd look up local registered in home daycares and licensed daycare centers to see what they charge. Because of your credentials and experience you should be able to charge a little more than most. In my area (West Texas) weekly cost for one infant full-time is around $90 - $150; cost for toddlers is a little less.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:13 AM on May. 13, 2009

• I pay about $340/month for before and after school care for my 9 year old and $550 in the summer for full time care.

Out here that's extremely reasonable (as I know people who pay easily double that)
    TabathaM

Answer by TabathaM at 10:35 AM on May. 13, 2009

• i would say 30-40$ per child.. what would you think?
    NewLady1

Answer by NewLady1 at 10:36 AM on May. 13, 2009

• In Albuquerque costs for child care in home varies widely, a friend of mine has had her oldest in home childcare full time and was charged $175/week (my friend provided all her daughters food/drinks/snacks, etc...), her childcare provider is CPR & first aid certified as well. Another friend has someone come to her home and watch her boys and pays $12/hour (and that's for 2 children - the boys are 5 and 9).
    finallyamom40

Answer by finallyamom40 at 10:37 AM on May. 13, 2009

• Newlady1 ... are you suggesting $30 - $40 per day? or per week?
    divakristi

Answer by divakristi at 11:06 AM on May. 13, 2009

• I pay $25 a day for each child. My daycare provider is on the low end of prices here. Most are up to $30 a day now. Instead of increasing her prices she decided to add one week paid leave a year and paid holidays.
    Anonymous

• Hey Kristi...when Colin was a baby I was working until he was 11 months old and had someone who was watching him out of her home as well as a few other kids. She charged $25 per day and that included her providing lunch and snacks and of course the parents each brought their own diapers and wipes for their children. I thought it was pretty reasonable...hope it helps ya and good luck. I am also looking into working at home to supplement my husband's income.
    happymom511

Answer by happymom511 at 12:53 PM on May. 13, 2009

• I have done child care since my daughter was 17 mos old! My rates have varied over the yrs. I'm in Cincinnati, Ohio and right now I get $30 per day per kid. I have watched kids from all walks of life with parents from different incomes and have let some of them pay only what they could afford. I've managed fairly well like this for 24 yrs now. I never had anyone sign a contract, I just kept it friendly. Everyone I knew who had contracts got screwed anyway and then there were hard feelings. I've never had that at all! I've treated them all like my own. Lots of TLC, free play time and some structured craft/play time. I take them too & from pre-school, get them on & off busses, take them to music lessons, sports practices or games & take them wherever I go, like to the grocery, pool, park, even Drs visits on occassion! All "my kids" have grown up very well, done well in school/college! My 1st one now works in Washington, DC !
    Anonymous

• I pay $200 per week full time in NY. My daughter goes part time and I pay $6 per hour for her.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:54 PM on May. 13, 2009