I am not a racist.. but im from the bahamas working in the caribbean with tourist

It's something that caught my attention i've been here for about 6 months now. and i see the way these kids speak to their parents.. if they don't get that $10 for the game room they'll answer back : I HATE YOU OR I WISH YOU WOULD DIE!!!
Or THESE 6 YEAR OLDS WOULD HIT BACK AT THEIR MOM OR GRANDPARENTS... i could have never done that with m parents. And my kids know damn good not to even think of doing that or thinking to say stuff like that! believe me i don't know what might happen but the teeth in their mouth might dissappear after telling me that.. do ALL YOU AMERICANS ALLOW YOUR KIDS TO SPEAK TO YOU THAT WAY? ARE THEY ALLOWED TO FIGHT BACK AT YOU ? The way we in the caribbean were brought up are different than the way the americans were brought up right?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on May. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think you have a bad sample. I would never dream of hitting my parents. My brother raised his hand to my mom one time in high shcool and my mom just staired him down and said "Try it". He didn't. SOme parents let their kids walk all over them, but I like to think most of us demand respect from our children and were raised the same way.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on May. 13, 2009

• I am American and I never dremaed of treating my parents like that and my children had better not act like that either. However, the parents that can afford totake theeir children on expensive vacations that maybe aren' age appropriate are more inclined to be overindulgent. That is how children act when they are overly spoiled and out of control. Please don't assume all American children are that way and keep this in mind...the children that behavve themselves are the ones that go unnoticed. The children that act out and make a scene are the ones that become memorable. I would venture to say more well-behaved children come through your area than bad, you just pick out and focus on the bad ones because of how shocking their behavior seems.
    Danielle720

Answer by Danielle720 at 10:55 AM on May. 13, 2009

• the type of kids your exposed to are the rich snobby ones who probably vacation all he time, not yoiur average americans who can't afford that. Many of these rich parent try to make up for lost time with thier kids because they work all the time. They let them get away with things and buy them whatever they want.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on May. 13, 2009

• I have witnessed much disrespect.. I don't understand it either. There's not one thing to pinpoint it to, but I'd narrow it down to a combo of trashy cartoons/tv, high sugar/poor diet, failure to discipline(in schools and at home), both parents having to work full time, hours of sitting on their butts playing video games that are rated poorly.. no type of religion..decadence in general.. etc etc...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on May. 13, 2009

• Yea I agree wiht the other posters. My children have NEVER behaved that way, and if they did..they would find out exactly HOW miserable I can make their lives. You are just getting the "BAD EGGS" of the bunch
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:59 AM on May. 13, 2009

• My daughter, a nanny, says that rich people don't know how to raise kids!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on May. 13, 2009

• My children do not do those things. I do have to say I slapped my mother once. She was slapping me over and over again and when I would fall she would jerk me back up by the arm and keep slapping me. So I slapped her face and that shocked her and she stopped hitting me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on May. 13, 2009

• you know i think that's true.. most of the kids that are rude are usually those that are with a nanny and mom is out in the casino all day gambling, clubbing and drinking and stuff so i guess these are kids that are missing out on the love and attention from their parents. So they tend to look for attention in another WRONG way*
    Xiomie

Answer by Xiomie at 11:18 AM on May. 13, 2009

• I hardly ever see kids do that here, and I know for dam certain my kids would NEVER talk to me like that! I think its a lak of disipline on the parents part
    dairyberrys

Answer by dairyberrys at 12:44 PM on May. 13, 2009

• I have to agree, what you're witnessing is the rich kids who aren't taught discipline and get what they want just so they won't bother the parents. My son is usually well behaved but of course he has his days where he thinks he can talk back to me or have an attitude but believe me he doesn't get away with it! Alot of Americans were brought up just the same way you were.
    Anonymous