I was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience when my son was younger Im not sure what age he is 17 months old now but I started letting him watch tv mickey mouse actually I had kids very close together I think I was pregnant when I started letting him watch it but anyway he is behind in his speech he does say a few things but I have read where they say tv can hold them back when it comes to speech we have been taking it away he only watches mickey once thats it.

Anyone had a similar situation

MoMMyto2971

Asked by MoMMyto2971 at 10:50 AM on May. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• NO WAY! if anything mickey mouse club house that my son watches every morning and who is 2 by the way is helping him learn more words faster and teaching him alot!
    brandnew744

Answer by brandnew744 at 10:54 AM on May. 13, 2009

• my son came out of the womb speaking complete sentences, my daughter started speaking at average age, and Tv never slowed them down verbally
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:56 AM on May. 13, 2009

• ^ I agree. My son watched whatevetr whenever and and he spoke in paragraphs/conversations by 18 months.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:15 AM on May. 13, 2009

• the only thing i heard about the tv is that it can cause adhd in infants because their brain cant comprehend all the colors going as fast as they do but affecting speech that doesnt make sense
    yousomedicated9

Answer by yousomedicated9 at 11:17 AM on May. 13, 2009

• i agree my son watches elmo,dragon tales. and he learns more. (my son is 2) and was talking by 9months

ITS NOT TV.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on May. 13, 2009

• TV does not cause speech delays, nor does it cause ADHD. ADHD has to do with a chemical imbalance. Someone needs to do some better research.
    Anonymous

• Tv isnt good for kids because its better for kids to learn through play and real life.. until they are a little older (around age 2) kids dont understand the concepts they see on tv... You can show your kid a video of a ball 100 times - they will know what a ball on tv is, but they wont be able to name the ball they are holding.
    It may hurt their creative development as well...
    My dd has been watching tv since birth. we do limit it. but not extremely.. she is smart for her age. 2.5 knows abc- counts past 10- knows all colors & shapes..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 12:07 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Amount of tv watching has no impact on anything..it's all you offer with it. If you don't offer more with it then, yeah...he will be delayed. My son was way advanced and have imaginative play at 1 year. He also talked well, and understood the concept of tv very early.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:15 PM on May. 13, 2009

• If I understand your question right...
    You have a 17 month old who says a few words and you are wondering if he is behind and if TV is to blame.
    First, he is not behind. By 18 months, doctors like to see 10 t0 20 words. Some normal kids won't have any, some normal kids will be using phrases. But in general, they want to see 10 to 20 words.
    Second, some TV can help kids learn more words and concepts. Unless he is plopped in front of the TV all day, every day, it's fine.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:27 PM on May. 13, 2009

• When my daughter turned 2 last October she wasn't talking a lot and I was a bit worried because my oldest wast talking a lot at that age.. but it seemed like one day she started saying more words and putting sentences together and now she talks all of the time..I don't think TV is harmful in fact I think some programs can help them learn..like Barney, etc...that's how my oldest learned the days of the week and a lot of other things..don't worry..
    Jan40

Answer by Jan40 at 4:16 PM on May. 13, 2009