Is this normal?

I'm pregnant, and find that certain smells are very appealing to me now. Not food, not perfumes, but chemicals, as in cleaners. I can't get enough of the smell of bleach, or the smell of my Clorox Green Works cleanser, and find myself looking for excuses to clean just to be near their scents. My bathroom sink and tub have never been cleaner. Other smells appeal as well, like gasoline or the automotive section of any store with an automotive section. Is this normal? Is it unsafe? I've heard some women crave odd things and eat them which I know IS dangerous, but I don't want to eat these things, just smell them.

Jinxiewolf

Asked by Jinxiewolf at 10:51 AM on May. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You should not be around too many cleansers. You need to be in a well ventilated area. Talk to your doctor about why these smells are appealing to you.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 10:54 AM on May. 13, 2009

• Yep, I crave clean smells, it;s killing me that my house never smells clean enough.
    With my previous pregnancy i would just stand in the soap Aisle and smell them all. I HAD TO HAVE gold Dial soap... wanted to eat it.,.. but i would lather it up on a washcloth... couldn't actually use it to clean me cause it'd dry out my skin really bad.. anyway I'd get my washcloth all sudsy and just stand in the show and smell it... Irish Spring worked too but not as well... I really looked forward to shower time, just so I could smell the soap... (i took more than one shower every day for this reason...
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 10:55 AM on May. 13, 2009

• Oh yeah, I ended up having low iron and needing a supplement- you have "cravings" because your body is lacking something- so checking with doc is a good idea
    LuckyClown

• I'm glad I'm not the only one that had cravings for scented soaps. i couldn't get enough of the green dove soap or anything that smelled like cucumber melon. Turns out that I needed more vitamins and calcium in my diet. I would definitely have your doctor check you to make sure you are getting enough of everything you need in your diet.
    TashaLee

Answer by TashaLee at 11:15 AM on May. 13, 2009

• talk to ur dr asap. If your are having cravings for weird smells or stuff then you are lacking something. The dr will run test to see what all your blood levels are. I would take your vitamins and call your dr.
    Jessi101088

Answer by Jessi101088 at 11:47 AM on May. 13, 2009

• I don't know if you can have pica of the nose, LOL.
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 1:54 AM on May. 14, 2009