My 4 year old, daughter, has been extrmely mouth and disrespectful, lately. I watch "Supernanny;" and she says not to wash children's mouths out with soap. I heard that some parents put hot sauce on their kid's tounge. Is that safe to do? OR Shouls I try/do something else?

Asked by melsmom03 at 11:37 PM on Jun. 20, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• While it is safe, you will have to decide if it is ethical to put hot sauce in a child's mouth. Some children actually like it and it can be a bit painful.

I think redirection and a read of Love & Logic might get your farther. We do a marble jar (although its a small one) to work towards a silly reward and it is really excellent. We reward her anytime she does what she should and she loves the positive reinforcement!

Answer by knitafish at 11:40 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I would try taking her things away when she is disrespectful. When she has nothing left but her bed, she will rethink her decisions. Make her earn them back. When she has a good day, she gets something back. Bad day, something goes. You need to address it now or it will only get worse.
    I know not everyone believes in spanking, but a swat on the behind usually got my childrens attention. I will not put up with mouthiness or being direspectful.

Answer by liebimom3 at 11:56 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I would definitely not go the soap OR hot sauce route. It's just cruel. It seems like most kids this age go through this phase. My daughter is 3 (going to be 4) and has started this. It's tough to deal with but know that this too will pass.

Answer by atheistzmbie at 12:07 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• I wouldnt do the soap or the hot sauce, you are still giving her attention for her behavior, even if it is negative attention. Try redirection and also positive attention for other things that she does, start with small reinforcement and work your way up. It will get you farther.

Answer by pinkcalla721 at 12:13 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• record her and show it to her and then show her how good girls speak

Answer by Anonymous at 12:57 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• i would give her a time out and not let her out of it until she is quiet for 5 minutes straight. start the time over each time she opens her mouth. supernanny did that once too i believe.

Answer by SamsMom125 at 1:28 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• We spank.....sorry if it doesn't fit the mold. It works for us.

Answer by prissymommy at 2:09 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• My son mouthed of at me today in a very disrespectful manner, and I sent him to bed. DONE! He was very remorseful and apologetic, but it was too late. (It was within an hour of bedtime anyway, so it was not out of line.) He was very sad because he was not able to see his dad before bedtime. After he was in bed, we said prayers, and I knelt down next to his bed and told him I loved him very much. I did not like that way he talked to me, but I love him. Nothing will change that. He sobbed some more, but settled down and actually fell asleep pretty fast.
    In my son's case, often times mouthing off is something he does when he's tired. His mouth goes before his brain engages, and he know right away that he's made a poor choice!

If it had happened earlier in the day, I would have put him on time out, then if he mouths off again, he goes to his room and loses TV time, or loses some other priviledge.

Answer by hcmerrell at 3:47 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• We also spank and it works. I very rarely have to spank because we're consistent.

Answer by Anonymous at 8:49 AM on Jun. 21, 2008

• see i dont believe in soap or hot sauce or none of that stuff....your kids act like that to desperatley get your attention they notice that by acting like that ..that it does get your attention and quick so thats why they constantly keep doing it...i found that out from a councelor with my daughter whos now 3 she gave me tantrums hit me and everytime i told her no shed go shhh shhhh be quiet!so i did what the councilor said everytime shed do it i would ignore her or walk away and when shed do something nice or lower her tone then i would award her by giving her my attention. IT WORKED!!! NEVER HAD A PROBLEM SINCE

Answer by ShYmAmA08 at 9:20 PM on Jun. 22, 2008