4 months old on a plane???

my fionces parents want to take my son to florida the begining of june to meet my fionces fathers parents. that doesnt bother me they have a right to meet their great grandchild and they are too sick to travel all the way to jersey. now my question is exactly what do i do? i already called my sons doctor to see if it was ok and they said yes and that my soon-to-be-parent-in-laws have to take his social and his insurance cards and a power of atterny letter but is there anything else that anyone could recomend that would be helpful? i mean a week without my little man is going to be rough but how can the trip become a little easier on them?

yousomedicated9

Asked by yousomedicated9 at 11:06 AM on May. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My husbands family keep wanting me to send my kids but I refuse. My kids are 2 and about to be 1, maybe it's me but I feel 4 months is just to young to be away from mommy if it is not realy needed (have them come to you, it is much easier on your baby). At this age they don't understand really that they are going to visit someone to them it might seem more like they are taking him away. I went with my kids everytime they went to visit, no one else can take the place of mommy and that will only confuse a baby. If not needed to be away from you I would not. Also if your baby is sick I would not let her go, I took my daughter on a plane at 11 months and we both got really sick from someone else on the plane and that is actually the only time my daughter has been sick and she is almost 3. SInce on a plane you share the air with everyone else on the plane you get their germs.
    hosein

Answer by hosein at 11:19 AM on May. 13, 2009

• Buy the formula that is perpared in the 8 or 9oz cans for them to take on the plane, ziplock bag all the baby items,tylenol,gas drops, anything else your baby may use.I took my youngest son to Fl at 5 months. make sure the baby will have diapers and formula for 24 hours, in case there is a flight delay. We ran into that a couple years ago flying when my middle one was 16 months. I couldn't find diapers for him at 1am when a shuttle was taking us to a hotel because of the delay we missed our connecting filght.I hope this helps,oh and they should be able to check the stroller at the gate. and get it back as soon as they are getting off. Don't forget the car seat!
    J.Ann96

Answer by J.Ann96 at 11:27 AM on May. 13, 2009

• Can't you go with them?
    My advice for the plane would be make sure they bring a car seat and buy him his own seat on the plane. I do not agree with having a baby ride on someone's lap.
    I would give them lists and detailed directions on feeding, nap schedules, numbers where you can be reached. A camera if they don't have one to take pics for you to see when they get back.
    It will probably be much harder on you than the baby, if that makes you feel any better lol. And flying with an infant is sooooo much easier than flying with a toddler, trust me. He will probably sleep for the whole plane ride.
    6IrishKiddos

Answer by 6IrishKiddos at 1:44 PM on May. 13, 2009

• I am the oldest out of ten and with my youngest brothers (twin 6 year olds) the doctor told us to give them a little motrin or tylenol before the plane ride. They slept the whole time.
    skyfairer

Answer by skyfairer at 3:33 PM on May. 13, 2009