• In the Spotlight:

Has anyone else experienced depression during pregnancy?

Hi there. I'm a first-time mom-to-be and at 32 weeks along, I've found myself feeling depressed. I've been picking fights with my husband for no reason, crying at least once a day and feeling less excited than I'd been feeling about the arrival of my baby. Has anyone else experienced symptoms like this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on May. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I'm early in my pregnancy and I am depressed. I'm depressed about my baby, because trying 10 months I was very excited to finally be pregnant, but there are other things causing me to be very depressed
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on May. 13, 2009

• I had depression with the pregnancy of my first daughter, and it only got worse until I actually went to see a counselor about it. I wouldn't recommend taking any prescriptions, but sometimes that's all you can do. We worked through mine and things were back to normal in a few weeks. It's just a matter of inding what works best for you.
    TashaLee

Answer by TashaLee at 11:25 AM on May. 13, 2009

• I am feeling the same way, I just take each day as it comes and know how excited I will be when I finally get to see my baby boy.
    finallyamom40

Answer by finallyamom40 at 11:28 AM on May. 13, 2009

• I was having absolutely horrible depression with this pregnancy and my dr. said he did a study that fish oil helps depression and told me to try it. I bought a bottle and it two days I feel 100% better than I did. You might want to try it, you could have an omega 3 deficiency. A lot of pregnant women get it in pregnancy because they don't eat fish due to the mercury! GL and if you wanna talk just let me know. It is good to have a support group!
    LOVE2bMOMMY525

Answer by LOVE2bMOMMY525 at 11:28 AM on May. 13, 2009

• Thanks so much for these replies. Feeling depressed at a time when I'm told I "should" be happy was making me feel even worse, so it's been kind of a vicious circle. It helps even just knowing that I'm not the only person experiencing these feelings, though. I'll talk to my doctor and maybe try the fish oil, LOVE2bMOMMY525. It sounds like you had great results, so that's very promising. And in the meantime, you're right, finallyamom40. I know that I'll be overcome with love & excitement once my baby is born.
    Anonymous

• Ugh, yeah....preg depression....oh what fun!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:10 AM on Jun. 7, 2009