My 28 month old baby has diahrea really bad but no other symptoms, what can I do?

I called his pcp and he said that if it continues through out today then I need to bring him in tomorrow cause this is our 3rd or 4th day of the diahrea and I have no idea what its coming from. They told me to give him saltine crackers or noodles, things with salt and to stay away from juice and dairy. However my son still drinks about 16-24 oz of milk a day. The nurse is going to call me back about wether or not I should switch him to his old formula that was lactose free or stay on the cows milk. What do you think? I know that cows milk is very rich and could possibly make the diahrea worse cause befor I talked to his pcp I gave him milk this morning and he had really bad diahrea after wards. Hes been on cows milk for around 5 months now so thats not whats causing this but It might not be helping with the diahrea either. So what should I do?

LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Asked by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 11:30 AM on May. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son (22 months) is on day three of upset stomach and diarrhea - I've transferred him to chamomille tea, bland bread and crackers. Doc told me last time to use the BRAT diet - banana, rice, apple sauce and toast (latter containing all kinds of bread pretty much) - so that's what I'm doing.

Make your own pedialyte (or buy it) as it replenishes the salts and minerals lost by the diarrhea.
    Being off dairy for a few days should not have that much of an impact, whereas dehydration will.
    At any sign of dehydration, go to the doc ASAP
    Anonymous

• push fluids!!!!!! with having it for that many days the child could be getting dehydrated....and that's not good. pedialite is really good but for a lesser expensive way gatorade is just as effective. good luck and if it doesn't clean soon i would go to the doctor.
    busymamma503

Answer by busymamma503 at 12:33 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Lots of fluids! He can become dehydrated from all of the diahrea. If it's been going on for that long I wouldn't want to wait any longer, he should probably see a doctor asap, just in case.
    6IrishKiddos

Answer by 6IrishKiddos at 1:46 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Thank you ladies, hes not deydrated either. Im one of those moms that does not hesitate to take my baby to the doctor but considering he has no other symptoms I have let this one go a few days but if the change in diet doesnt work then he will be seeing his pcp. My husband is getting him some gatorade since his doctor said he cant have any juice and he doesnt drink water much. But hes drinking just fine so I just dont know if he has a stomach bug or what.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 3:58 PM on May. 13, 2009

• my son had gotten really bad diarrhea when he took amoxillan for his ear infection he had... went to the er and they gave him pedialyte... really helped... try it
    sweetsugarbabe

Answer by sweetsugarbabe at 8:56 PM on May. 13, 2009