help with my neice

i have an 11 yr old neice whose family is staying with us right now i know she is at an akward time but every time you say anything to her she usually screams at you or stomps her foot it usually end with her crying and leaving the room and us equally frustrated help me what should we do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on May. 13, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• wait for the hormones to settle. Puberty is like PMS for the young. She can't help it

Answer by admckenzie at 11:43 AM on May. 13, 2009

• It is part puberty. Slip her a Teen Midol? Just kidding. When she starts yelling, tell her to leave the room until she can calm herself down. Just because it is hormones, it doesn't mean she should get away with the behavior. She still needs to be respectful to others. With my 11 yr old niece, we tend to laugh at her and tell her that we can't wait until she gets her period.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:51 AM on May. 13, 2009

• Are her parents staying with you too? If they are talk to them, not her. Let them deal with her. She is probably just miserable and feeling trapped.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 11:55 AM on May. 13, 2009

• maybe shes going through something maybe you should try finding out if theres something wrong and if she wanted someone to talk about it.But I agree with the others about not allowing her to get away with that kind of behavior. My dad would of back handed me.
    lovegigi

Answer by lovegigi at 2:35 PM on May. 13, 2009

• you will not take that tone of voice in this house.
    that language is not allowed in this house.
    We do not allow behavior like that in this house.

then walk away.
    Angelbluewingsz

Answer by Angelbluewingsz at 5:54 PM on May. 13, 2009

• I somewhat agree when the yelling starts send her to another romm to chill out!! Maybe when things cool u could have a quiet talk to maybe see if it isn't something else that's wrong. Do you have an older teen in ur community or church to maybe give her someone to talk to? 11yr old usually just don't like adults!LOL
    mommyhero

Answer by mommyhero at 9:22 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Well, I am imagining that in addition to this being a difficult age, she is in a stressful situation living in someone else's house and all that goes along with that. I would give her a lot of room....I would be nice to her and overlook anything that can possibly be overlooked and focus on the positives. She is having to listen to MORE people scrutinize her behavior and attitude and that is stressful! Let her parents deal with the discipline and just be nice to the girl...as much as you can. Be an ally to her...this is probably a difficult time for her. It is nice of you to let the family stay with you but she is only a kid and probably wishes she was somewhere else....be kind and patient with her.
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 9:46 AM on May. 14, 2009