This girl just told me her uncle runs a puppy mill...

I am getting a puppy from this girl today and when I asked for the shot records she told me she didnt have any shot records because her uncle runs a puppy mill and he gave all the dogs their shots.. Is there anyway i can report this even though I have no idea where this puppy mill is?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on May. 13, 2009 in Pets

• yes, call the animal shelter or aspca in your area and give them the information that you do know about buying your puppy. They will take it from there.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:48 AM on May. 13, 2009

• puppy mills are not illegal in every state. in california they are legal in their agriculture areas in the state. of course they are to be monitored etc but i think the state slacks and puts the poor dogs and puppies aside thinking they are not important. i would be concerned about getting a puppy from her. a lot of the times the puppy are in-bred and have lots of health problems due to this. imagine they get a few dogs not related but they grow into having hundreds and a lot of the mates have been kin to the dogs that are now being bred. also i wouldn't count on the dog having had it's shots. good luck try to report it. like give them the girls number or address and they will contact her to get more info.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 12:43 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Have you already gotten the puppy and paid for it? If not, don't. Do your research and find a reputable breeder or adopt from a breed rescue group or shelter. Otherwise, I don't think there is much you can do about it now other than taking the puppy to a vet and having it checked over.

Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 1:49 PM on May. 13, 2009

• oh and had to add-don't support the puppy mill and buy that puppy. thats why they stay in business.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 6:21 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Puppy mills are not illegal (though they should be) in many areas. Reporting it will do you no good! I wouldn't buy the puppy if I were you, especially if they don't show proof of shots.

bookay

Answer by bookay at 9:21 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Even tho they might be legal it still wouldn't hurt to get them checked outl I would report them. Its a red flag when u say he's thw one giving the shots. That means there is no vet monitoring anything sounds bad to me
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:49 PM on May. 13, 2009

• There are lots of reputable breeders that do their own vaccinations. That isn't necessarily a red flag to me. One of my puppies came from a breeder that did her own shots. She actually works at a vet clinic. She gave me a little card saying what vaccines/dewormings she had had. If you are an actual responsible breeder and breed for the breed standard/performance/temperment and have a love of the breed, you don't make any money on the puppies. Doing your own vaccines and dewormings can be one way for you to save money.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 1:23 PM on May. 14, 2009