Baby's last name...not approved by g.parents

Me and my partner have been together for years and we're now getting ready to welcome a little boy in less than 2wks. My parents are outraged by the fact that I am giving my son his father's last name. This is our choice, not their's. How do I argue with them that this is not their decision but ours?

trijobaby

Asked by trijobaby at 11:48 AM on May. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You don't need to argue with them about it, this is your baby and your SO they have no say so and really have no right to be angry about it. Just let it go with them and do what you two want.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on May. 13, 2009

• Are you two planning on getting married any time soon? If so, you could tell them it'll save hassle in the long run. Otherwise, it's your baby and your decision the names you give him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on May. 13, 2009

• There is no need for the arguement. He is YOUR son and it's YOUR choice. They don't have to like it or agree. Just tell them that is what you've decided and it's not up for discussion.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 11:56 AM on May. 13, 2009

• You don't argue. If you're old enough to raise a baby, you're old enough to separate from your parents and the hold they apparently think they have on you. You can basically say "it is what it is".
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 12:03 PM on May. 13, 2009

• They had their chance to name a baby, and now it's yours.
    My mother reacted the same way when I named my son. She's accepted it.
    Ooftacat

Answer by Ooftacat at 12:10 PM on May. 13, 2009

• Simply put: This is the name we have decided on and it is not up for debate nor is it a poll. You expressed your preferences, now it time to come to terms that this is MY SON and my partner and I will name him however we choose, period. If they insist in debating it, just change the subject, you don't need the added stress, as a parent you will make a lot of choices that your own parents may or may not agree with but guess what? It is your prerogative, so start making those decisions and marking those boundaries they'll get over it.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 12:13 PM on May. 13, 2009

• I agree with previous posters... Since I am married to a man who is not the father of my sweet son,  we had a bit of trouble. (My husband and I are separated and have been since 05') Marriage is not everything, just because you have a child with some one does not mean you have to or should marry them. I am married and I wish that I had not made that mistake. Sorry to those who are happily married or who believe in marriage. In my opinion marriage is archaic.

ERV2009

Answer by ERV2009 at 12:16 PM on May. 13, 2009

• It's simply your choice and not theirs to make. I wanted my son to have my maiden name somehow because I'm the last to carry on my fathers name (he has all sisters and no cousins with the same name).....But I was married and of course wanted our son to have my husbands last name, so my sons middle name is my maiden: Jackson Piller Calorusso!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 12:35 PM on May. 13, 2009

• If we have a girl first it will have my last name, If a boy first my husband's last name. Our second child will have whatever last name hasn't been used.
    If people don't like it, too bad.
    I find the best way to avoid unwanted opinions is to keep information to yourself.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:41 PM on May. 13, 2009

• don't argue, tell them to get over it! if your parents want a baby with their last name, tell them to have one!
    smzuzu

Answer by smzuzu at 12:43 PM on May. 13, 2009