What would you do?

Someone offers to pay you $10 a day per child.
They have 3 children (1 is in school though), so you would be getting $20 a day ($30 in the summer) and 2 days a week.
Sometimes you watch the children for 6 hours, and sometimes for 9 hours.
They are on a tight budget right now, and can't really pay you more than that.
You don't know them, but you'd like to bring in a little extra money for your family.

Would you do babysit for them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on May. 13, 2009 in Money & Work

• I would do it on a trial basis and see if the cost really does outweigh the benefit. If it does, then you can re-negotiate the cost. Whether you know them or not make sure that before you agree to do it that you draw up a contract and state some ground rules like how much you will charge and when you require the money. Do everything you can to ensure you are not being taken advantage of. If it is something new make sure they know upfront that this is something you are doing on a trial basis so they will be well prepared in case it doesn't work out.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 12:07 PM on May. 13, 2009

• No, it will cost you more to take care of them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on May. 13, 2009

• Nope....not enough money to equal the responsibility.
    When I was approached with a similar scenario I simply said "you get what you pay for" and followed it up with a quote from a Bell Helmet commercial..."If you have a $10 head, buy a $10 helmet".
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 12:07 PM on May. 13, 2009

• I would because I am a sucker for kids but if I wanted to make extra money then no because it is going to cost you in the long run. You have to feed them right? In 6 hours they eat once and a snack in 9 hours they eat twice and a snack so you would go under money wise and the money you would be earning would actually go for their care. I know we have to be samaritans in this world but there are alot of people who take advantage of our kindness and 10 a kid is not realistic.
    214mommydearest

Answer by 214mommydearest at 12:11 PM on May. 13, 2009

• I pay $17/day and that is considered cheap in my area. They do give discounts for siblings, but still, $15/day would be the least amount.
    customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 12:34 PM on May. 13, 2009

• It depends. What else are you doing with your time? Time is valuable and you have to ask is there something better you coudl be doing? Would you enjoy it? Do you pay for food, too? Once you factor in food, you probably are losing money.
    Anonymous

• I would be very worried about liability.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:01 PM on May. 13, 2009

• I'd do it. It's something, right? Just tell the parents that they will have to provide snacks and lunch or whatever on top of what they are paying you.
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 1:11 PM on May. 13, 2009